arnoldpro

Feature Request - Temperature

Creator is getting better and better!

A few suggestions:

1) I think numeric monitoring of the temperature is so important, that it should be on by default.
2) A feed back of the teperature set switch would be fine.
3) If I set only the temperatures from layer 2 on, in the G-code this temperatures are set before the starting G-code too. This makes it impossible to set the first layer temperature manually.

Thanks

Arnold
Simplify3D
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request - Temperature

Hey Arnold,

Thanks for the suggestions! We've debated a few of these ideas already and they might end up being implemented in the future. One that has been a particular topic of discussion is temperature monitoring. This is a great feature to have on during setup and warmup before printing, but it adds a lot of overhead during an actual print. When we print, we typically turn it on while we warm the machine up and then switch it off before starting the build. In reality, you could just enable "Stabilize temperature at startup" to avoid this all together and let the firmware handle it for you with M109/M190's. We've been hesitant to enable this by default because of all the excess overhead, but we might change our minds if we can find an efficient enough method for the future.

We also tried implementing a ON/OFF indicator for the temperature set buttons, but we quickly figured out that when we ran builds from the SD card, we had no way of knowing whether a temperature had been turned ON or not. We decided if the indicator wasn't reliable because of that, it wasn't worth including. You could parse this information from the output of an M105 command, but that gets back to the first topic of discussion since that now requires you to constantly issue these commands potentially slowing down the build and impacting print quality.

And can you provide a bit more information on this last point? How do you typically set the first layer temperature? You can easily add multiple per-layer temperature setpoints so you can have a temperature defined for layer 1, 2, 3, etc.
arnoldpro

Hey Simplify3D,

if I define temperatures for Layer 1 and Layer 2 everything is clear, but if I define only temperatures for layer 2, I don't understand why this temperature is defined before starting G-code and at the beginning of layer 2.

Greetings

Arnold
Simplify3D
Site Admin

Ah okay I see what you're saying now. I guess we usually assumed that people would know what temperatures they wanted to print at and it wouldn't be an on-the-spot decision. However, if this is something you use, I'll see if I can find a way to do this for the next release. Keep in mind that if you use "stabilize at startup", you would need to provide a first layer temperature regardless. So you could only use this if you were stabilizing temperatures manually.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”