dvalentim

Calibration for MakerGear Prusa Mendel.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:44 am

I have a MakerGear Prusa Mendel. I'm new in the world of 3D printing. But I know that to have a printer working properly it must be calibrated according to the program slicer. Well, I searched for a tutorial for the Calibration Software Creator and found nothing related.

What is the procedure for calibrating the Creator with a running MG Prusa Mendel? Should I use the same procedure adopted for the Slic3r in: https://github.com/alexrj/Slic3r/wiki/Calibration?

I'm using ABS and PLA with 1.75 mm. My MG Prusa produced better results with the Creator and ABS. I would calibrate for both materials.

Thanks for any help. You did an amazing job with the Creator.

P.S.

1) I noticed that there is a delay of several seconds when the printer goes from the first to the second layer. Is this normal?

2) Please forgive me if I was not clear. I'm using Google translator to communicate with you. I'm from Brazil I do not speak English.

Simplify3D
Site Admin

Re: Calibration for MakerGear Prusa Mendel.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:40 am

In general, the calibration for Creator is somewhat similar to the basics you will find for other programs, but we hide a lot of the details behind the scenes. For example, if you want really great print quality, you might want to spend some time tweaking the temperature, layer height, extrusion multiplier, retraction settings, and printing speeds for your particular machine. As you've noted, this can be a little daunting for newcomers, which is why we spend a lot of time to make sure the default settings work great out of the box.

If you're using a MakerGear Prusa Mendel, I would go ahead and select the MakerGear_M2 profile from the load profile drop down list. Those settings are fairly similar and will give you a good starting point. If you want to use ABS, just select the ABS material from the FFF settings dialog and it will make all the necessary changes for your automatically. I would start out by printing a few very basic objects like a 40mm cube or a dodecahedron (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:198). If you post some pictures of your print, we can probably make a few suggestions for you that might help.

And the delay between layer 1 and 2 is for the extruder fan to come up to speed. This has already been improved for the next release since this delay is not needed in all situations. It was originally intended to help with older fans that may have trouble spinning up when going from 0-30% for example. They would need to "blip" from 0-100% and then back down to 30% after unsticking.

And your English was better than plenty of Americans I've talked to so no worries ;)

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”