benz

quality of top surface

I apologize for the probably trivial question. I am not able to obtain a nice finished top surface on this part. For some reason the preview of simplify 3D appears as in this picture. Do you have any hint on what could be the parameter to tune in order to have a uniform surface? I tried the number of top layers and many other changes but without success. I am attaching a picture of the model in s3D and the fff file.
Thank you in advance.
Attachments
PETG-PLAsupport.fff
s3D parameters
(28.71 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
picture of model in S3D
picture of model in S3D
rrdavis

Re: quality of top surface

Well it doesn't look like your top surface is actually flat. So you are going to get those very thin uneven layers near the top. Did you intend for it to be perfectly flat on top?
benz

Thank you very much for for your answer. No it is not intended to be flat. I was under the impression that the fact that the top surface is not all "blue" in the preview means that has different levels of finishing accuracy. I am probably wrong. It does not look very well in any case. It is kind of rough compared to the sides of the part.
brian442

The colors are labeled on the left of the image you posted. Different shades of blue do not mean different quality levels. It just means you are printing a flat layer that has an outer perimeter, inner perimeters, and then solid fill in the middle.

Your photo looks normal to me.
blackbird2016

The surface being uneven it certainly is kind of rough against the perimeters/side walls.
What your print preview is showing in green and blue are a "mixture" of top solid layers and perimeters.
Try playing around with layer-height settings.
The smaller the layer-height (0,05mm 0,1mm) the finer such flat angles will be...
benz

Thank you everybody for taking the time to reply. I am more confident that I am not doing something very wrong.
Best

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”