dkightley

v4.0.1 is out......

Have I been caught napping??? v4.0.1 has been released. :? :( 8-)

Looks like a minor bug fix release more than anything else:

Version 4.0.1
Improvements for the Variable Settings Wizard to support a wider variety of machines and setups
Extended compatibility for Windows rendering environments with reduced graphics support
Process ordering improvements for sequential printing control
Improved reliability for transitions between multiple processes
Better handling for prints with zero perimeter outlines
Improved naming prompts when using the “Save As New” option to create a new profile
USB communication settings are now maintained after a printer is connected, making it easier to setup builds for new machines
Updated support for the latest MakerBot and Dremel firmwares
Solved several rare situations that would cause slicing to take longer than intended
Resolved an issue with prime pillar and ooze shield toolhead sequences
Resolved an issue with large file handling on some Windows systems that had affected toolpath and factory file operations
Other miscellaneous stability and performance improvements
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
horst.w

Re: v4.0.1 is out......

... Preview ... ???

H
arhi

niiiiiiiice, but "check for updates" does not find anything :(

any clue if profile crashing bug is resolved?
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
shocksofmighty

I don't know about others, but the graphical performance on 4.0.1 took a huge hit. I'm on Linux with nvidia drivers. Any work in the display crawls.
smeagollum

Unfortunately there are graphics issues on Win 10 also. Not sure the performance is worse, but the print preview looks horrible compared to v4.0.0. The moire patterns are really bad. Here's an example:
s3d_401_moire.jpg
This is the Moon City model, sliced at 0.2 mm layer height. The pattern varies as you orbit the model, but as the example shows, it is really bad now. And much worse than in 4.0.0.

Win10 (Anniversary update), Nvidia drivers.
MasterFX

smeagollum wrote:Unfortunately there are graphics issues on Win 10 also. Not sure the performance is worse, but the print preview looks horrible compared to v4.0.0. The moire patterns are really bad. Here's an example:
This is the Moon City model, sliced at 0.2 mm layer height. The pattern varies as you orbit the model, but as the example shows, it is really bad now. And much worse than in 4.0.0.

Win10 (Anniversary update), Nvidia drivers.
No Problems on my Win10, Nvidia GTX 1070, Driver Version 388.13
moon_city.jpg
And it seems like the 64 MB Problem is fixed (see https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7882 )

But the fonts are looking a little bit more washed out in S3D 4.0.1 than in 4.0.0
s3d_fonts.png
smeagollum

@MasterFX:
That's really odd. I'm using the exact same driver version as you, but I have a Geforce GTX 1050 ti (so weaker than yours), and there are clear differences between 4.0.0 and 4.0.1. However, I don't see the fonts issue you mention. Are you positive that there is no difference (between S3D versions) in the moire patterns as you orbit the model? There is moire patterns also on 4.0.0, but much less pronounced (on my system). I tried changing the acceleration mode (under Options->Visualization->Render Settings ), but it didn't do much (it's on Automatic by default. These settings are also revamped in 4.0.1, BTW.

The 64MB bug is gone, yes, but there is a new (albeit very minor) bug with the mouse. After starting S3D, I have to click once in the model window before being able to orbit the model. If I click and drag nothing happens. I have to release the mouse button and then do it again to make it work. However, this is just a one time thing immediately after launching S3D, so it's not a big problem, just odd. It's as if the model window/area doesn't have focus by default.
blackbird2016

Start point to specific location does not work anymore.
Seems, it always is the fastest print settings.

Edit:
Just did a rollback to 4.0.0 and it works again.
Will stay with it until solved...
MasterFX

blackbird2016 wrote:Start point to specific location does not work anymore.
Check... Same here :evil:
S3D-Jason

Our team will definitely be investigating any potential issues that are found with the new version, so please go ahead and make a separate thread in the correct forum for any of these items that need to be addressed. That will help keep things much more organized as our team investigates the potential issues.

As always, it is also a big help if you can include as much data as possible including the factory file, system information, etc. Many times, it is not possible to reproduce the issue without these items.

Thank you!

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”