naviathan

No retraction at end of print...

I'm printing with TPE and it's very flexible. I've disabled retraction entirely, but there must be a built in retraction at the end of the script because when I attempt to start a new print the filament is kinked in the extruder the same way it does when it tries to retract. I checked my ending script and there's no movements on the extruder at all. Is there some place else I should be looking?
rrdavis

Re: No retraction at end of print...

You could check your ending script in S3D.

But more importantly, open the gcode file for the print and make sure there is actually a "G1 E-xxx" command in the file. There's a lot of reasons why the filament can get kinked, so you don't want to be chasing the wrong cause - make sure there's actually a retraction command in the file first!
wirlybird

I might also approach this from a hardware point. If a flexible material is getting caught up in the extruder then maybe it needs modification to handle the material better.

What printer?
naviathan

I did check my ending script and I don't see anything there. Didn't think about the gcode file, but I just checked and I don't see anything there either. This is really weird.

I'm running a home built i3 with an E3D Titan and V6 hot end.
rrdavis

Well if there isn't a "G1 E-something" command in your file, then that isn't what's causing the problem. As others mentioned, there are a lot of other causes for kinked filament, so try looking at those instead.
naviathan

So here's what I've figured out. Apparently the MakerFlex filament needs to be under tension to print without kinking. I noticed that it would kink the fastest after the roll would tumble a little and loosen the feed. So I tightened up the captive nuts on my spool roll and it completed the print I was trying for without an issue. Sorry for the false report. Just couldn't pin point this. I guess the first time I printed with it I had the spool tighter.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”