jim2386

Ooze Control: Extra Restart Distance

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:08 am

Hey guys,

I use extra restart distance (negative) on the start of perimeters after a retraction to help prevent small blobs at the beginning of a print loop. This works great for your typical travel movements, however sometimes as a part gets taller, the details become smaller or you get to a cross section with a lot of small cross sectional areas so retractions become very frequent. Because I have a negative restart distance, if a bunch of retractions happen close together and/or very quickly, I get underextrusion in that area of the part.

I know it's a long shot, but is there a way in S3D to say "If there are a bunch of quick retractions, to ignore the extra restart distance and only use the extra restart distance on longer travel moves? If not, it seems like a good feature. If the travel movement between two printed areas is only 1mm apart, ignore extra restart distance and then maybe set the maximum travel distance that will give you the maximum extra restart distance that you set. Distances in between could be linearly interpolated.

Anyway, thanks in advance!

Jim

wirlybird

Re: Ooze Control: Extra Restart Distance

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:21 am

I'm not in front of S3D but on one of the last two tabs on the right is settings that can affect retractions. Maybe the minimum distance for retraction? See if something there might help to control when retractions take place.

dkightley

Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:01 am

Advanced tab.....Ooze Control behaviour.....checkbox - Minimum travel for retraction.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

jim2386

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:11 pm

What about if I have “retract during wipe movement”

Which takes priority?

Ex: wipe distance is 5mm and minimal travel before retraction: 6mm. Retract with wipe movement is ON.

Will a retraction happen during the wipe movement even though the wipe movement is shorter than the minimal travel distance?

Hope the example makes sense. Normally before traveling, the nozzle wipes so if I retract during wiping, would the minimum travel distance do anything in this example?

Thanks!

Aha

Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:32 pm

I'm posting in this both to flag it for myself in case there IS a way to do this (I just got a dual extruder), and also to give a helpful suggestion.

I'd think you should try setting up multiple processes for the area that's doing less printing. Change the process settings for just that height - it would even work if it's just a section in the middle of the print with lots of retraction. Save the process anytime this comes up for quick access, then use the wizard to split the model - either as it goes up to that point, or just in the areas you need it.

Someone that gave me a bunch of tips 2 weeks ago on dual extruders told me that if you want the really beautiful pieces, you really have to slow the speed down and do the extra steps in preparation you find as a hassle. I'd think this is an instance (and I noticed this as a huge issue trying to print the 2 color frog at a small size that basically made all the colors dots!)

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”