S3D-Jake

Re: Lulzbot Taz 6 V3 Duel Head Offset

tteaguer wrote: I have a Lulzbot Taz 6 and bought the V3 Duel Extruder. All works fine in the Cura Edition shipped with the machine.

I like the S3D software a lot, but can't get the damn machine to print properly. My issue is the second extruder prints with no offset, meaning if its supposed to print at x=10, y=10, it prints at x=16, y=10, 6 being the physical distance between the 2 heads.

I wrote S3D and they sent me a new profile which seems to put in the M218 gcode command to the starting gcode. M218 is to set the hotend offset. At least that's the only difference I can see between what Cura does and S3D does. However, If i run the profile it, my machine homes, then drives the Z axis into the table like its over the wiping pads which it is not. I had to power off the machine before it broke the build platform.

If I comment out the M218 commands which set the hotend offset (which I think the firmware handles and the starting code shouldn't do) it works fine except still has the offset (printing the 2nd extruder over by the physical distance of the 2 heads).

BTW, the preview of the print looks perfect.

Anyone have issues like this running S3D on this machine?

Terrell
See rrdavis' post he linked:
rrdavis wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:51 am
jwaldron232 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:02 am Any progress on this? I have a V3 and I have been struggling with S3D. I am a new user so I don't have the experience to create it myself!
From the topic right above this one:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9586
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
tteaguer

Re: Lulzbot Taz 6 V3 Duel Head Offset

Hello,
There's quite a bit more about this on a post i submitted on the Lulzbot forum here https://forum.lulzbot.com/viewtopic.php ... 201#p40201

Basically, I found it was better to set the G-code offsets in S3D and live with the offset preview (set it back to zero when I wanted to see the real preview).

Setting the starting gcode M218 commands made the machine do weird things. I believe what the Cura slicer does that come with the lulzbot, is it take the offset value from the machine setup, and adds it to each move command in the gcode for the print. that's why you don't see a M218 command in the Cura starting gcode.

I ended up returning the S3D software and just use Cura that came with the printer. It does what I need without too much fuss and I didn't have enough time to take advantage of the S3D features.

Hope that helps.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”