mdavis1863

Re: S3d code for Taz 6 v3

Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:53 am

If you copied the beginning of the start code from CuraLE, it expects the firmware offsets to be zero so the M218 goes at the end.
OK, this is a good idea, I think I will do it that way. If I understand the above, you mean that the Start Gcode from Cura that does all the wipe and bed leveling expects these to be zero, so I need to set them at the end of the start script, otherwise I might find it messing up the start sequence. Right? Similarly, I guess the end code I copied from Cura might have the same issue, so I might set them to zero at the beginning of the End script. Does that make sense?

Also, I don't know what happens when I manually stop a print that is not going well, but if it doesn't run the end script....well, I might want to set offsets to zero at the beginning of the Start script just to make sure. Also, I was thinking of setting T0 to -6.5 and T1 to +6.5 just to center it. That is what I did when I was applying offsets in Gcode.

Anyway, thanks for your post, it helps me understand much better. One thing I haven't figured out is that when I type M218 by itself in the console, I thought the printer is supposed to respond with the current offsets. I don't see any response at all, but maybe I am doing something wrong.

b-morgan

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:34 pm

Anyway, thanks for your post, it helps me understand much better. One thing I haven't figured out is that when I type M218 by itself in the console, I thought the printer is supposed to respond with the current offsets. I don't see any response at all, but maybe I am doing something wrong.
From http://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/M218.html:
  • View current hotend offsets with M503.

I don't worry about offsets in the end code. I just always set to zero at the beginning of the start code and optionally set to non-zero at the end of the start code for S3D (and any other slicers that expect the offset in the firmware). I do this for every slicer I have configured for my TAZ 6.

By configuring CuraLE and S3D this way it doesn't matter what order I print the GCode files in and it also doesn't matter if they finished or not.

mdavis1863

Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:33 pm

Yes, that makes sense, I am doing the same. I got things mostly set up and had a good test print, but found some problems:

1. I found that using M218 T0 X-6.5 and M218 T1 X6.5, the negative value didn't register, and so my extruders were off by 6.5mm. Maybe negatives just don't work here. But anyway, I changed to 0 and 13 instead of -6.5 and 6.5, and it worked fine.

2. I also put in the Tool Change Script a lower temperature for the inactive head. This seemed to work well. However, I forgot to take care of the first layer....on the first layer both heads were at print temperature, and the inactive head was leaking all over the place. So I went back to the end of the Start Script and put T1 to standby/inactive temperature with an M109 command, since T0 is active first.

3. One thing I have not debugged - in my Tool Change script I set the newly inactive toolhead to a standby temperature with an M104 command, and then set the newly active toolhead to its print temperature with an M109 command. When I watched the print, it did correctly set targets for the two heads after each change, but then it only waited about 2-3 seconds. I had the inactive and active temperatures 12 degrees apart, so 2-3 seconds was not enough time for the newly active tool head to reach its print temperature. So it started the layer about 7 degrees short of the goal. This didn't cause major problems, but I wonder why it is not fully waiting for the temperature to stabilize after a M109 command. I might try adding an additional M133 command after the M109 command, but I thought M109 should be enough.

4. I notice with some models, the support will cross the ooze shield. When I review this in S3D preview pane, it will for example show (on one layer) two intersecting lines from the two different extruders. Is this a problem? Perhaps the second extruder momentarily stops extruding as it crosses a line that was put down by the first extruder on that same layer. But I don't see a little "dot" in the preview that would indicate a stop/start. Maybe it stops but doesn't retract. Or maybe this is something I am supposed to avoid when I see it in the preview. I don't know.

b-morgan

Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:33 pm

If the M109 isn't actually waiting until the temperature is reached, then that issue should probably be moved to https://forum.lulzbot.com/. I also can't find a description of M133 so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Your issue with supports and the ooze shield has nothing to do with this topic so I'd suggest you open a new topic with a better title. Hopefully, you'll get better visibility and a better answer.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”