rflulling

When is inverted not? Build plate issue.

When instructing the printer, the area is X-120 x Y 135 x Z 100. G28 is the front right corner.
What I need is for S3D to respect the printers inverted X -axis.

"Simplify3D 4.0.0" on 64 bit Windows 7 Pro, on i5-650, 8GB DDR3, 3TB SATA2, Radeon 17.12.1 on AMD R7-2XX 2GB DDR5. Controlling a "Powerspec i3 Mini" over USB2. Machine Type is "Cartesian robot." Firmware Configuration profile is "RepRap." Chipset is "ATMEGA2560." Firmware is "Marlin 1.1.4."

"Wanhao" is the original manufacturer, and "Wanhao i3 Mini" would be this machines designation, but although it is listed as supported by S3D, it is not listed as an option for a new setup. I had to use the "Wanhao i3" profile as the starting point. Additionally, this machine was customized by Powerspec, inverting the location of the build plate.

So the issue is that I have to fight the software to not invert everything because the coordinates are all inverted. S3D wants to use real numbers, the printer uses inverted numbers. I have tried to use the machine definition options to configure the bed so that all settings are uniform, but so far to no avail. Its seems every time they look right it is still backwards like S3D thinks I am an idiot and needs to reverse my settings. I feel like the solution should be simple and maybe I am an idiot. I have tried using the flip axis, changing the offset, and the homing direction.

S3D also likes to put the X=0 Y=0 in the front center of the build plate. Lets just ignore what happens when you send code written like this to the printer.

On the upside the prints that did run, looked great. I hope the coordinates issue is the only real fight.
rflulling

Re: When is inverted not? Build plate issue.

To add insult to injury.

When I says G28, the head moves to front right. When I say G1 X0 Y0 the head moves to front left.
So is G28 not Zero?
horst.w

It seems to be a firmware problem. The axes are prob inverted. Use the SEARCH, ca 2 month ago there was the same problem.

http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#G28:_Move ... .28Home.29
i.e.
G28 ; Home all axes
G28 X Z ; Home the X and Z axes

HOME is not imperatively identical with X Y Z = 0, may have a position outside.

Regards
horst.w
GER

PS:
Home / zeroing axes, i.e. my Anet A8 (Marlin). Inverting the direction is different to this!

// @section machine

// Travel limits after homing (units are in mm)
#define X_MAX_POS 220
#define X_MIN_POS -33
#define Y_MAX_POS 220
#define Y_MIN_POS -10
#define Z_MAX_POS 240
#define Z_MIN_POS 0
rflulling

Thank you Horst.W,
I have not been logged in for several months. I see that you replied with some very good instructions. I will look to see how I can apply them.

However I discovered after sending manual commands that X0 Y0 were not so much inverted as G28 and X0 Y0 were literally different locations.

On my M3D Micro G28 was the rear right corner. Adding X0 Y0 was not an option. After performing a G28, the front left corner would then become X0 Y0, but after interruptions or other various resets it would decide dead center to be X0 Y0 and this created many issues. But I learned to work with them.

As of the Re-branded Wanhao i3 Mini, I am launched into the Marlin firmware and Wanhao settings for the first time. After sending manual locations I found that the G28 referred to the Front Right corner where the Interrupt switches would be engaged. Y0 X0 however, is a relative location in the Front Left similar to the Micro.

So in the end I inverted Y and all seems to be running mostly as expected. Though when in print mode the software clearly has no idea where G28 sends the head and thinks this is the same location as X0 Y0. -Fortunately, other than making some auto re centering tricks more difficult, this issue does not prevent normal operation.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”