Mikey3D

Re: How to make the stringing stop

Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:10 pm

It must be because the profile name is local. Mine says "QIDI Tech x-one" which started by me selecting my printer and I have since modified some parameters and saved (as I see improvements). I've tried 180, 195, and 205 for temps and didn't see any difference so I surmised going between those and trying 185, 190, and 200, probably wouldn't either. I also didn't try below 180 or higher than 205 figuring those are probably out of range for PLA but maybe I'm wrong there.

Mike

airscapes

Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:51 pm

Is that all in the range of what the manufacture says? I tried the Makergear stuff below the suggested range while printing miniatures to try and get more detail but it did not work as well as at the suggested 215C There range for that particular product states 215-220.. it will print at 210 and 205 but not well and the black version (I am using white) does not print well at all when using a small nozzle (.25).
The fact you get no strings using a different slicer kind of eliminates the filament and temperature.. Is it possible the other product is adding some kind of change to the Acceleration and Jerk setting that don't get set by S3D. I am still trying to figure out what they do myself but apparently they have impact on the outcome of the print and are not altered by S3d unless you enter them in the start script.

You might want to poke around the gcode of both programs for the same print job for grins.. Learning the Gcode is on my list of todos as well.
Wish I could be of more help, I struggled with this for a while but the dryer fixed my issue.. When the current job is finished later this afternoon I will run the string test as I have not done on in a long time.. Will just use the stock makergear profile and post a picture and the FF for you to compare.. of course with a different piece of hardware it is apples and oranges..
Have you posted on the machines manufactures forum?
Last edited by airscapes on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airscapes

Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:12 pm

Update: printed the stringthing with the default M2 profile.
stringtest.jpg
string test default M2 V4 hotend profile.factory
(3.58 KiB) Downloaded 54 times

Mikey3D

Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:47 pm

It turned out not to be related to the software. Once I had both programs set up the same way, they both behaved the same. That is, with vertical lift turned on, I get bad stringing. With vertical lift turned off, I get no stringing. No amount of tweaking (retraction parameters, vertical lift distance (tried 0.5mm up to 2mm), wipe parameters, speeds, etc.) seems to stop the stringing that is present when vertical lift is on. Bottom line is that I can't use vertical lift because of stringing. And if I don't use it, I get scarring on the top layer from nozzle drag. Damned if I do. Damned if I don't.

Mike

emailcraigs

Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:23 pm

Mike,

Did anything else develop on this issue? I'm struggling with it myself and had come to your exact conclusion as well. Z-hop = stringing. No Z-hop = lines on flat areas of print. The variable setting wizard is a pain and doesn't always work right.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”