Mikey3D

Re: How to make the stringing stop

zemlin wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:55 pm Sounds like you might be running a real slow retraction speed. What's that set to?
40mm/s speed, 5mm distance, per QIDI Tech.

Mike
zemlin

That doesn't seem out of line.
You might also consider trying a different PLA supplier. I haven't run into much stringing with PLA - it's generally pretty easy stuff to lay down clean.
airscapes

Buy one of these, dry you PLA over night at 135-140F and your strings will be gone.. Also works for ABS at 165F When not drying plastic, you can make jerky!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H ... UTF8&psc=1
Mikey3D

airscapes wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:49 am Buy one of these, dry you PLA over night at 135-140F and your strings will be gone.. Also works for ABS at 165F When not drying plastic, you can make jerky!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H ... UTF8&psc=1
That's worth a try. I'm ready to buy it if it'll work. Do you use it? I assume you can fit one roll of PLA in it: maybe by putting one drying tray on the bottom? Any other tips on how to use it? It won't make the PLA brittle to where it'll snap will it?

Thanks,
Mike
airscapes

there are 6 trays, you cut the rack out of 2 of them so the spool will fit. There is a Youtube video of another guy using it.. in fact that is why I bought it.
My PLA had been used about 5 days without putting it away and the string test was all strings.. Once I dried the roll for about 8 hours, no more strings.. I had played with all kinds of settings trying to stop the strings. Too much heat will also cause strings.. .
The only issue with the Dehydrator is that it is rather noisy and produces heat.. I just put it in the basement so I don't have to listen to it..
I also toss the descant bag in the dryer with the spool. Once done I store it in a vacuum storage bags I get a the dollar store..
When I start to see strings, I just run it over night.
Also I now remove my spool when done for the night rather than leave it in the enclosure.
Didn't want to heat up the nozzle to remove at first.. then figure out you just cut the filament with an inch sticking out of the drive :oops:
Mikey3D

Thanks for the help. I've ordered one and it arrives Sunday. I'll post results.

Mike
Mikey3D

OK, the results are in. I used the dehydrator on two PLA filaments, dehydrating for 16 hours (until the filament weight stabilized/stopped dropping). I only got about 1.2 to 1.4g of water out of each roll of filament and the end results after printing with the dehydrated filament: absolutely no difference. Same exact stringing. So it seems in my case, the stringing had nothing to do with moisture.

Mike
airscapes

Wow sorry to hear that, at least that variable has been removed from the mix. Have you experimented with different temperatures? The stuff I am using (from MakerGear) seems to string more if it too hot..

Can you print the attached model and post the factory file
file > save factory file as >> nameofyourchoice.
string_test_fast_pyramid.stl
(1.64 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
Mikey3D

airscapes wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:52 am Can you print the attached model and post the factory file
file > save factory file as >> nameofyourchoice.

string_test_fast_pyramid.stl
Sure. That's the stl I've been using. I've attached the factory file. After many iterations, the attached produces the best results I can get with vertical lift enabled. Without vertical lift, I get no stringing but with vertical lift on (as it is in the attached factory file), I get stringing. Again, this factory file is the best I've been able to do so far as it nearly eliminates the stringing on the bottom half of the posts. But I still get stringing on every move on the top half where the posts are skinnier. My presumption there is that I get stringing on the top half because the posts are so skinny that there's not enough area to use to wipe the nozzle.

Mike
Attachments
string_test_fast_pyramid.factory
(3.42 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
airscapes

Mike, did you download the default profile for "Your Printer" To be honest, this is the first FFF I have looked at that was not mine. When I installed S3D I used the configuration assistant to choose my printer and download the profile for my model. I then had a Default and a Default that was created for my printer named with the printer name. So I guess I had expected the profile in your FF to contain that printer name but obviously you can name the profile anything you want.. including Default. Just wondering if this could be some of your problem or if the software just defaults to the name Default when the original profile is not on the system where the FF loaded.

Also have you tried different temperatures.. testing then bumping up 5 degrees and testing again?

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”