4.0 crashes on this factory; 3.11 does NOT

Get troubleshooting support from the community and help identify bugs for the development team to squash
FlyingDutch

4.0 crashes on this factory; 3.11 does NOT

Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:58 am

I am printing another 3dprintlab spitfire, and now run into a curious issue. If I take one of their standard factory files, make adjustments to the processes for my printer, and then click 'prepare to print', Simplify 4.0 crashes at about 80%.

Simplify 3.11 has no issues with the factory, and just renders it.

My OS is Windows 10 home, with all updates installed.
Attachments
w1.zip
(1.55 MiB) Downloaded 9 times

horst.w

Re: 4.0 crashes on this factory; 3.11 does NOT

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:50 am

It seems it is an issue of your model, perhaps it can be repared by

https://service.netfabb.com/login.php

horst.w
GER

issues.png

It the same issue when opening into version 3.1.1

issues_311.png

FlyingDutch

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:45 pm

It's not an issue with the model. The .STL's are commercially bought and have been printed by lots and lots of people already, including me.

3.11 renders it to gcode fine, and prints fine.

4.0 crashes while rendering.

In short: it't an issue with 4.0 vs 3.11, NOT with the model.

The model comes from this supplier:

https://3dlabprint.com/

I don't see how you think this is an issue with the model? The preview leaves out thin walls, if you let it render to gcode, you'll see the walls are there.

horst.w

Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:35 pm

FlyingDutch wrote:
I don't see how you think this is an issue with the model? The preview leaves out thin walls, if you let it render to gcode, you'll see the walls are there.

If it is only a rendering problem, why do you ask?

The slicing machines of version 3.11 and 4.0 are different, the one is tolerant against issue or impossible printing problems, te other machines does it not so. These problems occured in this forum sometimes.
V 4.0 crashes perhaps because your model wingL-2 has a impossible "nose" to print. V 3.11 shows this area, but it print it in plain air.

H.

wingL-2 nose.png

Print in Air.png

Print in Air 2.png

horst.w

Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:00 pm

I have extracted the models from your factory, imported to version 4.0 with my own printer profile and prepared them to print.
There is no problem.

Nevertheless the models have issues, they are not manifold and netfabb can repair it.

Please note that the fixed models (manifold) now have walls round about.

H.

extracted.png

non-manifold.png

manifold 1.png

FlyingDutch

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:06 am

Please stop answering with non-applicable stuff.

The issue here is that 3.11 renders these files to gcode fine, 4.00 crashes on it while making gcode. THAT is the issue.

Please, if you have no answer or info related to THAT issue, then don't answer.

Again, whatever there may be about these .stl's, they have been printed and turned into gcode hundreds of times already. They don't need repair. Simplify 4.0 should NOT crash on them.

I suspect this is the same bug as earlier mentioned on this forum, single wall extrusion.

To clarify: more than hundred people have already succesfully printed the 'impossible print' without issues. I myself have printed it just fine with 3.0.

Even if there WOULD be something wrong, 4.0 should NOT crash. It should give an error. Whichever way you look at it, 4.0 crashing on these files is wrong and a bug.

Also mind: it's NOT my factory. It's the factory 3dprintlab delivers and has delivered to hundreds of ppl. Only thing I did is change the settings applicable to my printer (filament width, speed, retraction).

horst.w

Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:29 pm

What do you have smoke this morning ???

H.

FlyingDutch

Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:47 am

I did not smoke anything, but it's highly annoying that if you post a bug report, someone is giving off-topic answers, and even insisting on doing so after you explain that's not the issue.

And as far as the image rendering on the models/processing page; this has nothing to do with manifold, but with zoom. If you zoom in or out you'll see all the thin walls are there. I think they deliberatelly not show one wall on a fairly zoomed out image, so you can see the structure. If you use zoom or walk around the model, the wall is there. These are all single thin walled prints. Probably by your 'repair' action you messed it up and made it more than thin wall (ie 2 perimeters wide).

ie now you don't see the wall:

and now (zoomed and rotated) you do:

About the model and manifold; it's totally not relevant. The model should just render to gcode fine, as it does in 3.11.

Please stop messing up a valid bugrequest by answering stuff no-one asked for.

Again; 3.11 processes these files to gcode fine. 4.0 crashes on it. This is a bug in 4.0. Even if the files would have been damaged, even then Simplify should not crash but produce normal errorhandling.

Please stop your efforts to undermine and frustrate this bugreport with offtopic nonsense.

horst.w

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:27 pm

You ignore totally what I have written!

V 4 accept the poor models files origin or repaired and it is fact, they have issues.

V 2.2.2 is the oldest installation on my computer and it opens your factory without any failing. I guess the factory file is from 2014 / 2015 or ealier.

So my opinion is right, that the problem is caused by the factory file itself probably by changing format conditions.

And at last
this is a user forum and not the S3D support. If you expect profound answers, call them.

Over and out.

S3D-222.png

dkightley

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:04 pm

Over and out.

Well said. As a fellow S3D USER, I also try to help other users resolve slicing and printing difficulties so that they can get their important printing done. I have not contributed to the advice on this thread so far....and do not intend to do so as the original poster obviously does not respect those who try and offer helpful advice.

As stated above, this is a user forum. If you want to complain to S3D or report an issue, do feel free to contact them directly. Do not take your frustrations out on fellow users.

As previously said..."Over and out"
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

Next
Return to Troubleshooting and Bug Reports