Wahrend

Z-axis clicking sound

Hi everyone! I have stumbled upon a small issue with my Flashforge Creator Pro. I am quite new to 3D printing so sadly I don't have much experience troubleshooting on these machines :/

Anywho for some strange reason my machine has started making a clicking noise when ever the z-axis motor stops. It is the same sound, but louder, which the end-stops make and it makes this sound every time the z-axis motor stops. So there's no troublesome sound when the motor is running and moving the bed, it only happens when the motor stops. I have searched to see if anybody have had the same issue, but sadly this was not the case.

The thing I have done so far is to take off the bottom of the printer and try to see and listen, if the problem is related the motor itself, and from what I can tell the clicking sound does not come from the motor rather it seems the sound comes from somewhere near the bed area. It is a bit of a relieve, but I can simply not understand what is making this sound as there is nothing there. It is not touching the z-axis end-stop and there is nothing else moving, which could possibly make this sound, in theory anyway.
Does anybody have a clue of where this sound might be coming from?

From the top of my head my next step would be to disassemble the bed arrangement, run the motor without anything and then slowly put things back together, while testing, and then hopefully get to the bottom of it. I should mention this problem came after I had to remove my glass from the bed which didn't exactly come off as elegant as I would have hoped, at least not until I realized heating the bed does wonders... but that came after I already spent some time having fun with a screwdriver pressed between the bed and the glass x)
greybeard

Re: Z-axis clicking sound

I don’t know about the Creator Pro but, in general...

The clicking you describe most likely comes from:
#1). Hitting a physical End-Stop but the Limit-Switch is not adjusted to stop machine before hitting physical end-stop. (the belt is clicking over a tooth on the pulley).

#2). Bad belt (broken, missing tooth).

I suspect #1 is the problem so, inspect and adjust position of switch.

To confirm/diagnose, tape a piece of cardboard/other to the part of the machine intended to hit the Limit-Switch (such that it takes up void space, allowing switch for work).

FYI - I relocated all limit switches on my printers for easy access & adjustment. Especially useful for setting bed height. photos...
Attachments
Limit_Mounted2.jpg
Limit_Mounted1.jpg
3D Print Parts
https://www.thingiverse.com/Still_Breathing/designs
Wahrend

Re: Z-axis clicking sound

Awesome thank you for the reply! I ended up completely taking the thing apart and discovered that two bolts holding the bedplate was loose and resulted in a small click when ever the Z-axis motor stopped. I appreciate taking the time for the knowledge sharing though. If the clicks starts again I will be sure to check those belt and endstops!

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”