jab136

[FIXED] multiple processes leading to 2 layers at same z, z skip, and skipped support material

So I am currently encountering an issue where when I go from one process to the next it prints two different layers at the same z (as can be seen in the attached compressed photos for layer 6-layer 7, as well as layer 68-69 and 80-81) this behavior did not occur between layer 46 and layer 47, however that process change causes several skipped support layers (there should have been support in layer 48) as well as an apparent skipped layer between layer 47 and 48 (the layer height in that process is .1, but the change between 47 and 48 is .2). Here is a list of the relevant settings that were varied between each process change. I have checked and my installed version of S3D is 4.0.1, I actually just re-installed it today.

process 1 (layer 1-6)
layer height-.2
primary extruder- right
prime pillar- yes
support- every layer
infill- every layer
stop printing- .4 mm

process 2 (layer 7-46)
layer height .2
primary extruder- left
prime pillar- yes
support- every layer
infill- every layer
start printing- .4 mm
stop printing- 8.4 mm

process 3 (layer 47-68)
layer height- .1
primary extruder- left
prime pillar- yes
support- every other layer
infill- every other layer
start printing-8.4 mm
stop printing-10.6 mm

process 4 (layer 69-80)
layer height-.2
primary extruder- left
prime pillar- yes
support- every layer
infill- every layer
start printing- 10.6 mm
stop printing- 13 mm

process 5 (layer 81-150)
layer height-.2
primary extruder- left
prime pillar- no
support- irrelevant
infill- every layer
start printing 13 mm
Attachments
layer photos.zip
(1.35 MiB) Downloaded 157 times
ff and gcode.zip
(1.08 MiB) Downloaded 145 times
dkightley

Re: multiple processes leading to 2 layers at same z, z skip, and skipped support material

What release of S3D are you using???

There were corrections in release v4.0.1 addressing issues with layer interfaces when using multiple processes.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
jab136

Re: multiple processes leading to 2 layers at same z, z skip, and skipped support material

dkightley wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:43 pm What release of S3D are you using???

There were corrections in release v4.0.1 addressing issues with layer interfaces when using multiple processes.
I re-installed S3D from a fresh download today and the problem persisted.
S3D-Jake

jab136 wrote: So I am currently encountering an issue where when I go from one process to the next it prints two different layers at the same z (as can be seen in the attached compressed photos for layer 6-layer 7, as well as layer 68-69 and 80-81) this behavior did not occur between layer 46 and layer 47, however that process change causes several skipped support layers (there should have been support in layer 48) as well as an apparent skipped layer between layer 47 and 48 (the layer height in that process is .1, but the change between 47 and 48 is .2). Here is a list of the relevant settings that were varied between each process change. I have checked and my installed version of S3D is 4.0.1, I actually just re-installed it today.

process 1 (layer 1-6)
layer height-.2
primary extruder- right
prime pillar- yes
support- every layer
infill- every layer
stop printing- .4 mm

process 2 (layer 7-46)
layer height .2
primary extruder- left
prime pillar- yes
support- every layer
infill- every layer
start printing- .4 mm
stop printing- 8.4 mm

process 3 (layer 47-68)
layer height- .1
primary extruder- left
prime pillar- yes
support- every other layer
infill- every other layer
start printing-8.4 mm
stop printing-10.6 mm

process 4 (layer 69-80)
layer height-.2
primary extruder- left
prime pillar- yes
support- every layer
infill- every layer
start printing- 10.6 mm
stop printing- 13 mm

process 5 (layer 81-150)
layer height-.2
primary extruder- left
prime pillar- no
support- irrelevant
infill- every layer
start printing 13 mm
Can you provide your factory file? There are areas that have been revised in 4.1.0 that may have fixed this. (Z movements are handled differntly as well as layer naming)
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
S3D-Chris

I’m happy to share that this issue was resolved in the latest 4.1 release. Our team successfully tested several factory files from threads mentioning this issue. Skipped layers and multiple layer numberings on the same layer height should not be possible (outside of sequentially printed parts). This was just one of many improvements to the software. For more information check out our Release Notes page.

Thank you for your help reporting this issue!

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”