nicolas_HD

Hypercube build problems - bowden, simplify3d

Hello, I have got massive problems with my hypercube using simplify3D.
First of all, it's for sure my fault, not Simplify3D's but I don't know how to fix these problems myself.

Build:

300x300x500 mm, for testing reasons only 200x200x200 mm are enabled.
Mainboard: Duet3D wifi
Material: 1.75 mm PLA at 200 degrees
Extruder: Bowden (60cm), E3D clone with Nema17
Circuits: 24 V for the electronics, 12 V for the fans
Heatbed: 500 W regulated by mosfet
Frame: 3030 Aluminium extrusion
Printing platform: Selfmade, from bottom to top: Heatbed, 5mm aluminium plate, carbon fiber plate 2 mm, bluetape
Bed-Probe: IR Sensor by DC42

My problems are:

Bowden extruder: As soon as a print is started (after the first layer), the PLA seems to be stuck in the hotend. While pushing filament through the disconnected PTFE-Tube or through the heated nozzle with no print started, it works flawlessly. This problem leads to a massive underextrusion while printing but only occurs after the first (few) layer(s).

Height of the nozzle: Even tough I'm using the DC42 IR probe, printing the first layer is not smooth. I have to adjust the Z-height by Z-Baby-Stepping often while printing...

Speed: The printing head does not accelerate smooth. At the start of a movement it's very very slow which leads to an overextrusion while executing small movements. (if there's enough PLA extruded...)

Extruder-motor: There are often squeezing noises coming from the gear while printing (at these moments when it seems that the hotend is clogged while printing). But as soon as the PTFE-Tube is removed from the hotend everything works just fine... The length of the extruded PLA through the disconnected PTFE-Tube was also measured and is correctly as expected.

I hope that you have some ideas what could technically be causing these problems. Because my knowledge ends here and I can't fix it myself. I don't know if I set up the Duet, the IR probe or simplify3d wrong or all of them..? Also bed probing is slow. (or at least the movements of the print head including the z-axis movement). How could this be accelerated?

Thanks for anyone reading this and trying to help me 🙂

Attached: Simplify3D factory file, config.g, bed.g
Attachments
factory.factory
(3.9 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
config.g
(2.97 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
bed.g
(300 Bytes) Downloaded 170 times
brunofporto

Re: Hypercube build problems - bowden, simplify3d

Height of the nozzle: Even tough I'm using the DC42 IR probe, printing the first layer is not smooth. I have to adjust the Z-height by Z-Baby-Stepping often while printing...
If you are using the probe also as a Z_min endstop you must use G30 to home Z. If it is the case check you HomeAll and HomeZ configuration files and use G30 instead of G1.
brunofporto

Bowden extruder: As soon as a print is started (after the first layer), the PLA seems to be stuck in the hotend. While pushing filament through the disconnected PTFE-Tube or through the heated nozzle with no print started, it works flawlessly. This problem leads to a massive underextrusion while printing but only occurs after the first (few) layer(s).
Extruder-motor: There are often squeezing noises coming from the gear while printing (at these moments when it seems that the hotend is clogged while printing). But as soon as the PTFE-Tube is removed from the hotend everything works just fine... The length of the extruded PLA through the disconnected PTFE-Tube was also measured and is correctly as expected.
Check you assembly the hotend correctly - you can not have any gaps between parts and the bowden tube must go all the way to the heatbrake, Check if your hotend is receiving enough cooling at the cold section.

Check if your filament is not locking at some sharp edge exiting the extruder (I had this....)
brunofporto

Speed: The printing head does not accelerate smooth. At the start of a movement it's very very slow which leads to an overextrusion while executing small movements. (if there's enough PLA extruded...)
Check your acceleration and jerk settings - compare with others with the equivalent size/motors :D

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”