alteredstate

[FIXED] Bottom of Printed Part is "Squishy" or not filled

Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:03 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm printing dividers for some Akro-Mils bins but for some reason the bottom of the divider is "squishy". I've watched it print and it appears there is no infill occurring between the bottom layer and top layer at the bottom of the divider. Is there perhaps some setting I'm overlooking? I've been using my setup for a few years now and out of all the issues I've encountered I can honestly say this one is a first. I'm using a FlashForge Creator Pro with Simplify3D 4.0.0.
Attachments
AkroMils_Bin.stl
(21.37 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

dkightley

Re: Bottom of Printed Part is "Squishy" or not filled

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:19 pm

The model doesn't look as if it would be difficult to print......and that's all I can say! You obviously need to make changes to your profile....but not knowing what your current settings are, its not that easy to suggest which settings need changing.

If you really want help, help us to help you. Please attach the factory file for this print File menu.....Save Factory file.

If you've not been developing your settings as S3D has progressed through its versions, then there's probably plenty that could be done......
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

alteredstate

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:21 pm

dkightley wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:19 pm
The model doesn't look as if it would be difficult to print......and that's all I can say! You obviously need to make changes to your profile....but not knowing what your current settings are, its not that easy to suggest which settings need changing.

If you really want help, help us to help you. Please attach the factory file for this print File menu.....Save Factory file.

If you've not been developing your settings as S3D has progressed through its versions, then there's probably plenty that could be done......
Sorry about that, I meant to attach the Factory file but forgot to. It was getting late after a long day when I posted so I'm going to say my brain had clocked out for the night.
Attachments
AkroMils_Bin.factory
(10.06 KiB) Downloaded 74 times

dkightley

Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:51 am

If one of the things you're asking about is the apparent lack of solid area "underneath" the vertical part of your shape...as seen here:
Capture.JPG
...then I don't think there is a way of avoiding it..apart from using solid infill right through the bottom.

And if you're suffering from weak infill, then my thoughts are that it may be due to a lack of plastic being extruded or printing too fast. I don't have any experience printing with ABS, so I'll pass on giving suggestions as to what changes may help. One thing that does strike me as being odd....is that your extrusion multiplier is set at a value that would be usually set for PLA, whereas I seem to remember that ABS needs a higher value.
Doug Kightley

alteredstate

Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:46 pm

dkightley wrote:
If one of the things you're asking about is the apparent lack of solid area "underneath" the vertical part of your shape...as seen here:Capture.JPG

...then I don't think there is a way of avoiding it..apart from using solid infill right through the bottom.

And if you're suffering from weak infill, then my thoughts are that it may be due to a lack of plastic being extruded or printing too fast. I don't have any experience printing with ABS, so I'll pass on giving suggestions as to what changes may help. One thing that does strike me as being odd....is that your extrusion multiplier is set at a value that would be usually set for PLA, whereas I seem to remember that ABS needs a higher value.
On my cross section view it does not show any infill like yours does:
AkroMils Cross Section.png
I should have mentioned that I'm using eSun PETG for my build material and Raptor PLA for the supports. The ABS you're seeing in the "Auto-Configure for Material" is just because I never changed it and manually adjusted all the settings. I've never messed with the auto configure and just set everything manually and then save it as a profile for each filament I use. I set the Extrusion Multiplier based on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ls3B97IHyg It seems to work as I was able to get the correct thicknesses.

alteredstate

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:00 pm

dkightley wrote:
If one of the things you're asking about is the apparent lack of solid area "underneath" the vertical part of your shape...as seen here:Capture.JPG

Based on my last post would you know why I'm not getting any infill in that area? We are both using my profile so is this some sort of bug maybe?

dkightley

Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:17 pm

Are you sure you're using exactly the same settings?????? I think you've turned the infill %age down to zero. Download your factory file from the thread and check the slicing!

I'm amazed you're accusing the software of having a bug in this area. Its been used by many, many users for years....and if infill was not printing, it would have been spotted within hours!! There is no bug!
Doug Kightley

alteredstate

Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:25 pm

dkightley wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:17 pm
Are you sure you're using exactly the same settings?????? I think you've turned the infill %age down to zero. Download your factory file from the thread and check the slicing!

I'm amazed you're accusing the software of having a bug in this area. Its been used by many, many users for years....and if infill was not printing, it would have been spotted within hours!! There is no bug!
Downloaded the factory file from the thread (DID NOT adjust any settings) and still no infill:
Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 16.09.55.png
I guess you were offended that I asked if you thought it might be a bug but you can see my confusion. I'm using Simplify3D 4.0.0 on Mac 10.13.5 and I assume you are using the same version of Simplify3D (maybe on a different OS or not) either way we are using the same factory file on two different machines which should technically yield the same result but we are getting a different result. Hence, why I asked if this MIGHT be a bug and not necessarily with the infill settings but something else within the Simplify3D platform. I think my question was subtle, valid and it was just a question. I did not blatantly accuse Simplify3D of anything and certainly was not attempting to discredit the software or developers in anyway!

Ayres3D

Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:25 am

Why are you using 4.0.0 and not 4.0.1? Could the problem not be explained quite simply by your not using the current version?

dkightley

Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:03 am

Sorry I've not looked at this thread sooner...and replied. I'm somewhat busy with other volunteering stuff at the moment.

Ayres3D is spot on.....there is a difference between the slicing in v4.0.0 and v4.0.1. The infill is, for some unknown reason, missing in v4.0.0.

So the answer is as stated....use the current version of the software.
Doug Kightley

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”