Greybear

Extrusion widthon layer 1?

I've got the software working OK, and getting some good prints, but still struggling with adhesion problems on the first layer. It looks to me like the problem is twofold-

1. The extrusion width is really small, much narrower than those printed with slic3r.
2. The speed of the head sometimes creates stringy threads and/or pulls up the ends of the runs.

I've slowed the speed a bit, but that hasn't helped the extrusion width issue. Slic3r allows setting of both a default and first layer width. How do I set this in Creator?

Thanks,

GB
kaink

Re: Extrusion widthon layer 1?

There is an adjustment for the first layer thickness in the layers tab. I run mine at between 60% and 90% with slower first layer speeds. I have no problems with adheasion. It sounds like your z endstop needs to be adjusted so the bed is just a little closer to the nozzle. Also make sure to clean your surface well before printing.
Greybear

Re: Extrusion width on layer 1?

The z stop is ok, slic3r prints the same model fine. And I'm using a clean surface with hairspray, and still seeing the problem.
Simplify3D
Site Admin

The extrusion width is automatically determined based on your chosen layer height and extrusion diameter. For the first layer, look at the "First Layer Settings" on the Layer tab of the FFF settings window. We usually print the first layer with 85% height and 50% speed. That will squish the first layer and create a wider extrusion width. And we did have one issue with some rare width calculation that was fixed in version 1.1.1 (released yesterday). So try updating to the latest version to make sure this problem wasn't related.
Greybear

OK, I saw the layer settings you're talking about, but the height vs. width terminology threw me.

If I increase the height setting on the first layer then, will it increase the extrusion rate? That would be the thing I'm looking for (i.e. fatter first layer extrusion).

I'll check out the newest version as well.

GB
Simplify3D
Site Admin

You want to lower the percentage for the first layer height. That will create a thinner layer, which in turn squishes the filament more. The extra squishing creates a wider width, which is what you're looking for.
Greybear

So is the extrusion height setting decreasing the z clearance and keeping the flowrate constant or what?

The logic here seems backwards to me, sorry if I'm missing something obvious...

GB
Simplify3D
Site Admin

Decreasing the first layer height percentage will decrease the layer height for the plastic that is extruded directly onto the table. This lower layer height reduces the Z-axis clearance which means that the plastic coming out of the fixed 0.35mm nozzle will have to spread out more forming a wider extrusion width. In short, you usually want the first layer height to be between 60-90% to help squish the first layer onto the table and get good adhesion.
Greybear

Ok, then that's my problem. I will decrease the height a bit more and recheck. Thanks!
GB
davew_tx

I've a setup question about the M2 and this z height setting.

I level my bed, with nozzle directly over each of the 3 screw adjusters (under the HBP).
this seems to be the quickest and best for leveling.

I use a paper (.004") shim to set it, with just a bit of drag on the paper.

When I do this, the first layer seems to be a full bead of plastic with no squish.
Then I run the z height down to like 60%, and get squish.

But my first layer then has a wide infill spacing and is not solid.
Creator reduces the number of paths because it thinks the squish is wide, I'm guessing.

I've been fiddling around and haven't hit the right combination.

Is there something in the M2 bed leveling or is it a setting combination in Creator?

Dave

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”