inventabuild

Infill / Outline Overlap Not Working As Advertised

The description of Outline Overlap in the Infill tab says "Percentage of extrusion width that will overlap with outline perimeters (insures infill bonds to outline)"; however as we will see it does this by increasing all the the extrusion line widths which causes print resolution to suffer.

In this example I'm working with the top layer of a print with the Layer tab settings as follows:
Top Layer Settings.JPG
Top Layer Settings.JPG (26.88 KiB) Viewed 1957 times

First I set the top layer Outline Overlap = 0 as follows:
Top Layer Outline Overlap = 0.JPG
Top Layer Outline Overlap = 0.JPG (24.68 KiB) Viewed 1957 times

Here's the path of the letter "Y" with Outline Overlap = 0
Letter Y - Top Layer Outline Overlap = 0.JPG
Last edited by inventabuild on Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:28 am, edited 5 times in total.
inventabuild

Re: Infill / Outline Overlap Not Working As Advertised

Next, I kept all settings the same except I set the top layer Outline Overlap = 99 as follows:
Top Layer Outline Overlap = 99.JPG
Top Layer Outline Overlap = 99.JPG (30.45 KiB) Viewed 1955 times

Here's the path of the letter "Y" with Outline Overlap = 99 as follows:
Letter Y - Top Layer Outline Overlap = 99.JPG

The problem is that S3D is increasing the extrusion width of the path as the Outline Overlap number is increased and that is not what Outline Overlap is advertised to do. Again, the description of Outline Overlap is "Percentage of extrusion width that will overlap with outline perimeters (insures infill bonds to outline)".

So Outline Overlap should only be increasing the amount of overlap between the the inner extrusion and the perimeters, but it is also increasing the overlap between the inner extrusion.

How do I just increase the overlap between the inner extrusion and the perimeters?
Last edited by inventabuild on Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
inventabuild

Furthermore increasing the Outline Overlap value above 0 causes the accuracy of the print to suffer.

Here's an example of the letter Y next to the letter T with Outline Overlap = 0:
Letter Y Next To Letter T - Top Layer Outline Overlap = 0.JPG

Here's an example of the letter Y next to the letter T with Outline Overlap = 99. Notice the letters are now closer together due to higher Outline Overlap value causing the resolution of the print to suffer:
Letter Y Next To Letter T - Top Layer Outline Overlap = 99.JPG

Hence, Increasing the Outline Overlap value above 0 causes the accuracy of the print to suffer.

S3D should offer a more elegant way of increasing the overlap between the inner extrusion and the perimeters without requiring all the extrusion line widths to increase since print resolution suffers when this happens.
DarthRevan

As much as I love the S3D preview, I'd suggest quantifying this bug report by including some more data.

Real world results:
Have you printed these parts and found that the external dimensions are different?

Actual machine instructions:
When looking at the actual values in the g-code, what changes between two files with only this setting changed?

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”