nimanouri

[FIXED] Large file size STL bug

It seems that S3D is using some kind of procedure for creating the gcode that when the gcode file size is bigger than 512MB it fails the compilation and exits the program. I have tested that the same STL file has no problem in other slicers (e.g. SLIC3R and CURA) and they can build the gcode with a file size of about 800MB and the printer can successfully read it. I am asking the S3D team to enhance their program for larger gcode generation asap because they have a powerful program with respect to other slicers but when you cant slice your big detailed STL object with it, then you will change your favorite slicer and that's not good for S3D to lose users.
cybrsage

Re: Large file size STL bug

I have had the program appear to freeze up on large gcode files. I just go and watch some Cops on TV for a bit and come back later to see if it says Export Successful. Not sure if you are giving it enough time.

Though I would like a progress indicator to show how much is done / left so we know it is not frozen.
nimanouri

It want to open a large gcode file, no processing, what about that ?
I'm telling you. there is a need for the software so it can open files larger than standard 512MB text.
mojoab

Having the same problem.
zemlin

I've been working with a model that has nearly 1.5 million triangles. It won't slice on 4.0, but has been working with 4.01. I have a factory file with two copies of this model in it with a different process on each copy. Just sliced it in 4.1 without issue. 10.5 million lines of GCode.
S3D-Alex

Re: [FIXED] Large file size STL bug

I’m happy to state that this issue should be resolved now in the latest 4.1.0 release. Our team successfully tested two factory files from threads mentioning this issue as well as many other large models to ensure this works better in the future. We were able to import and slice models with 40 million triangles and up. This was just one of many improvements to the software. All of which are detailed on our Release Notes page.

Thank you for your help reporting this issue!

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”