LukeGab

Slicing Removes Model's Details

Hello all,

I've registered an account just to see if I can get some help on a problem I'm having. S3D is not slicing my model properly in two different ways...

This is my model presliced. It was 3 different images that I converted to models, stacked at different layer heights, and then exported as a binary .STL through S3D.
S3D Issue 1.png
The first issue is immediately upon slicing. The red portion is my final top 2 layers at .1 height each. There is supposed to be detail on these layers, but it's completely flattened them out!
S3D Issue 2.png
The second issue is at the bottom of the sliced model. It's not registering a certain portion of my model, which I've marked in red. This portion is supposed to all be solid, but it's making it hollow for some reason.
S3D Issue 3.png
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this or repair it?
S3D-Jake

Re: Slicing Removes Model's Details

Luke,

Welcome to the Simplify3D Forum. Without having the factory file to investigate it's hard to say for sure the exact reason this is happening. That being said it looks like two separate issues. First, you may wish to look into thickening the features on the top of your model, as it may be that those features are just too thin to be printed with your nozzle size.

Second, the model appears like it may bot be entirely manifold, or possibly features some overlapping geometries which are not properly joined together. If you run a Repair > Self Intersecting Surfaces Check, does this report errors?
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
dkightley

Re: Slicing Removes Model's Details

If you're on Windows10 you can solve both of your problems in one go...

Load the model into the Windows app 3D Builder. It will want to repair it...let it. Then save as a .3mf file and load that into S3d. Issues resolved.

If not on Windows10, you'll need to use one of the online model repair services to clean your model up.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”