ClintGoss1

[FIXED] Brims and Multiple Processes Behavior

My goal is to print two models with identical settings except for the brim / skirt setting.

BFlute_079_BPBD_BF_S3DBug_1000c20.jpg
The left model is designed to print with only a skirt. It has a solid base and sticks nicely to the bed. Furthermore a brim causes heartburn in post-production - it's a flute, and removing the brim causes inconsistencies that degrade the smooth airflow.

The right model requires a brim - it has too thin a wall at the bed surface to reliably stick.

I use two processes with profiles that differ only in the brim / skirt setting. When each model is printed separately, with its appropriate process / profile, each model prints fine.

When I try to them together, assigning each model to its process, S3D v4.0.1 slices the entire print with skirts for both models, as shown above.

Here is an actual print of the two models, using a single process with the brim skirt:
BFlute_079_BPBD_BF_OnPrinter_P1160260_1000c20.jpg
... however, this is not workable solution long-term.

Is this a known bug? Suggestions??
Last edited by S3D-Jake on Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Clint Goss
airscapes

Re: Possible Bug with Brims and Multiple Processes

Not sure it is a bug, but the fix is to move them farther apart. Even if you just add a skirt to one and have the parts too close you will get a skirt on both. .
ClintGoss1

airscapes wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:36 am Not sure it is a bug, but the fix is to move them farther apart.

That worked ... thank you Thank You !!

In thinking of how I might approach this problem (switching order of parts, creating a custom brim in the model, hacking the G code ...), I never thought of moving the parts further apart ...
-- Clint Goss
airscapes

I had this happen the other week.. I think I was posting it and figured it out before I hit submit..
S3D-Chris

Re: [FIXED] Brims and Multiple Processes Behavior

I’m happy to announce that this issue should behave closer to how you've suggested in the latest 4.1 release. Our team successfully tested several factory files from threads mentioning models with separate processes picking up the additions settings from another process. This was just one of many improvements to the software. For more information check out our 4.1 What's New Page.

Thank you for your help reporting this issue!

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”