wankerman

Ooze Shield + Brim. Fix this already!

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:10 am

The brim still gets added to the ooze shield! Seriously, why is this bug still in your software???

My part is long and hollow and absolutely requires a large brim for it not to lift. You're making me choose between having a ugly usable part vs. a nice unusable part.

Until this is fixed, I have no choice but to use Cura. At least for this particular part.

DarthRevan

Re: Ooze Shield + Brim. Fix this already!

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:18 am

My guess would be that this is more of a design decision and not a bug. Mainly because I actually prefer the brim be on the ooze shield.

Have you tried including a raft for your long hollow part? Or you could try to include some helper discs for corner adhesion.

wankerman

Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:56 am

There's no reason why a brim would be on an ooze shield and not the part itself. Every other slicer does this the way it's supposed to. If it's a design decision, it's a really dumb one.

Anyway, I ended up using Flashprint (see image below) for my motorcycle taillight lens. It does the brim correctly and it automatically stops printing the ooze shield after it's no longer needed and turns off the second extruder. All with a single checkbox.

Simplify3d, with its plethora of options, doesn't even let you set the ooze shield height. :?

flashprint.png

DarthRevan

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:35 pm

Certainly there can be made an argument for the folks designing Simplify3D to look at skirt/brim options. However, saying that there is definitely a right or wrong way to design that feature is notably shortsighted. My point in my prior post was that I seriously doubt they just omitted any programing logic when they added ooze shields and prime pillars to the existing additions tab (long ago), not that it shouldn't conflict with how you want the option to work.

Ooze shield height can quickly be toggled using the variable settings wizard. Set the height you wish to split the process, then in the upper process disable the ooze shield.

Also, if you're planning to use the Ooze Shield to catch ooze, you should orient the parts on the bed such that the tool that is currently not in use will, more often than not, be outside of the ooze shield rather than inside of it. For example, if the part fits vertically and your nozzles are spaced apart from each other along the horizontal axis, the ooze shield is more useful if the part is aligned with the Y axis.

SusiT140V

Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:54 am

Design decision or bug, it needs FIXING.

If you are printing a material that is prone to warping off the bed (like nylon or ABS), what the hell good is a perfectly attached ooze-shield when the edges of your part you are trying to print is twisted up into the air?

Here's one sensible solution (to save a lot of coding) -
Attach the brim to the object and print the ooze-shield at your preferred distance from the object.
Then if you need a brim on the ooze-shield, just extend the width of the brim so that the shield now prints ONTO the same brim.

Oh, and PLEASE also add the capability of adding a brim to the INSIDE of objects, and make it OPTIONAL.

Thank you.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”