onepoint21

[FIXED] Unicode characters not supported in file paths or names when executing post processing scripts

Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:48 am

Good morning,

I received the following error after updating to 4.1. "Failed to execute post processing commands". This occurred when exporting gcode to my sdcard. It took me a while to figure out that the sdcard had become locked (physical switch on the side). The error in Simplify3D is a little ambiguous. I think a future version should update that error message to make it easier for users to troubleshoot.

Thanks,
David

minvo

Re: Error Handling

Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:29 am

I received a similar error. Spent a lot of time figuring out. Your post helped to understand the reason, thank you.
  Cause of the problem: S3D 4.1 does not support Cyrillic (any unicode?) characters in the path to the gcode file. With S3D 4.0.1, there is no such problem.

S3D-Jake

Re: Unicode characters not supported in file paths or names when executing post processing scripts

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:39 pm

Thanks for your help reporting this issue. I've confirmed that this issue seems to only be present on Windows. I've documented the complication for our development team. Please reply here if you find other cases where post processing scripts give this error message.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

S3D-Jake

Re: Unicode characters not supported in file paths or names when executing post processing scripts

Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:25 am

I’m happy to state that this issue should be resolved now in the latest 4.1.2 release. Our team successfully tested several different languages and file structures. You should now be able to execute post processing scripts on file locations and names with unicode characters. This was just one of many improvements to the software. All of which are detailed on our Release Notes page.

Thank you for your help reporting this issue!
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”