RedneckPhysics

Help: Support material penetrating through to model interior

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:02 am

Hi All,

I have an atypical part that I’m attempting to print using a dual extrusion FDM machine (Raise3D pro2). Without being able to post pictures at this time, it’s basically a conical section, with a series of concentric ring voids throughout the interior (that have to be air gaps). You can think of it as having a highly controlled, 80-95% dense infill pattern. But I can’t just use a solid part model with auto generated infill. The part is for an antenna, and I’ll need to control the void location to make it useful.

The material HAS to be ABS, and the top and bottom of the cone have stair step designs, which force me to use a support structure to print the part accurately.
The first void starts about 500um inside the exterior shell of the part, so it’s like printing with a single wall exterior in some spots.

I’m experimenting with High-T lay dissolvable filament to get a great surface finish and part accuracy.
With simplify3D (4.1?), when I try to generate support structures, I get penetration of the structures through that thin shell, which ends up causing S3D to lay down support material inside of the voids. I’ve tried turning off normal supports (platform only), changing the support pillar resolution from min to max, varying density (dense infill top layers and normal tops) and various orientations. Nothing seems to stop it from happening.

Any ideas on how to fix it? It’s possible I could manually remove supports, but it would be a super intensive process, as there are a lot of areas this occurs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Mike

wirlybird

Re: Help: Support material penetrating through to model interior

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:36 am

Look at the setting on the support tab on the left side for inflation distance or something like that and set to 0 and see if it helps.
Also the support resolution to a smaller value may help.
Sometimes all you can do it try to minimize it or go and let it manually generate the support then go delete the unwanted ones.

Jbc

Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:01 pm

Turn off auto support and place your own.

Jbc

Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:52 am

I forgot about this feature.
When using the support that's automatically generated, select "From build Platform Only."
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (30.68 KiB) Viewed 406 times
No support will be generated inside your model.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”