cdub

RESOLVED - More S3DCreator.exe has stopped working

I created a simple cube in metric in Alibre and exported it to stl, and successfully imported it.

I took another very simple part I had and converted the native file to metric and exported the stl file. I was able to import it.

I took another very simple part and left it as inch units and imported it. The part came in, but as soon as I clicked Models~auto-arrange I get a "stopped working" error
Last edited by cdub on Sat May 04, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cdub

Re: More S3DCreator.exe has stopped working

I tried a few more things this morning

1) I ran S3DCreator "As Administrator" I then inserted two instances of my "test cube" successfully, however once I clicked "auto arrange" the program crashes

2) I ran S3DCreator "As Administrator" and in XP compatibility mode. I had the exact same result as with number 1
Attachments
testcube.stl
(3.27 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
Simplify3D
Site Admin

I tried importing the STL file you posted on several computers here and had no issues, whether during importing, auto-arrange, or slicing. I'm guessing this might be something specific to your computer. Does anyone else notice any problems dealing with the posted STL file?

cdub - Can you try downloading and importing a standard object like this knot (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5504). Do you have any difficulty with that file?
sir-mike

I have to agree with Simplify3D, I work with Inventor at work in inch and at home in mm there is no problem at all not even with ASCII or Binary.
I run everything on Win7 with a Quad core and 8GB Ram.
cdub

Simplify3D
Were any of the machines you tested on Vista Machines?

I've run a surprising amount of software on that laptop, matrix algebra software, FEA software, CAM software for my CNC mill, large assemblies in my CAD package, etc.

I will have a go a that file from Thingiverse tonight.

BTW, another thing I tried was to uninstall the software and reinstall it into a directory in the userspace (as opposed to the default "program files" location). I read somewhere that sometimes programs have issues with the permissions involved in being in the "program files" directory.

That also didn't help
Simplify3D
Site Admin

Yup, one of them was a Vista box and that worked fine. Let me know if the simple knot works
cdub

Any Vista install guidance, with regard to what directory the software should be installed into and how it should need to be run (admin, compatibility mode, etc)? Any quirks?

Also, is there any kind of crash file or error log buried somewhere I could look at/send in to you?
cdub

I downloaded the knot file and imported it.
I can import the file, arrange the file, as well as add the manufacturing process and create the gcode. I was able to do these things with my test cube as well (as long as there was only one). I can preview the gcode as well.

If I duplicate the file, import it again, or import a different file it either crashes immediately or it waits until I hit the "arrange" button, then crashes.
Simplify3D
Site Admin

There isn't any special installation instructions for Vista besides needing to run the original installer as an administrator. The program itself doesn't require elevated privileges and you should be able to install it in whatever directory you want.

Being that we aren't seeing these issues on our Vista machines, it's sounding like this may be something specific to your computer. I'm going to PM you some additional troubleshooting steps we can try. If any other Vista users are having similar problems, feel free to chime in
cdub

I installed the program on a second laptop and activated it. This second laptop is a very basic 32bit machine. It is also running Vista (Vista Basic) to be precise.

A quick evaluation indicates that it runs FLAWLESSLY here. I was able to fill the build plate with a variety of different files with no issue and orient them as I see fit. I went ahead and ran the slicer and previewed the gcode a few times too. I'm miles ahead on that one.

So, I strongly suspect these issues have something to do with one of two things:
1) 64 bit Vista
2) The ATI graphics card and associated drivers in my 64 bit machine

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”