mikebosschaert

Re: 4.1 and 4.1.1 Constantly Crashing. 4.0.1 Never Did.

Here the same. I work on Linux OpenSuse Leap 42.3. S3D 4.0.1 used to work without any problem. After upgrading to 4.1.1 I get crashes after switching between the main screen and sliced preview a couple of times. It starts showing the sliced preview as black background and the complete interface hangs. After a few seconds I can use the interface again. If I continue to use S3D it shuts down. When I close the slice preview immediately, I can still save my work, after which I should close and restart S3D to avoid loosing any changes.
I've checked the processes and processor/memory activity, but I see no exceptional usage of resources.
It would be great if S3D could solve this problem, as I understand it's a generic issue.

Mike
LilSin

Here same problem usually exactly like this : "After upgrading to 4.1.1 I get crashes after switching between the main screen and sliced preview a couple of times" and using multiple processes.
Doesn't seem to matter what STL file I use .
It's especially bothersome if your experimenting a lot with settings and trying to view them before printing saving FF on every tiny change (in case it might crash) isn't really nice working.
jimbalny

The amount of crashing and bugs I'm getting in the new version is getting to be really frustrating. For example if I rotate the view too much all my models and print bed will disappear from the screen until I restart. I also get a lot of crashing when I go to generate g-code after using the variable settings wizard and editing multiple processes. It's annoying if I don't save I have to go back and input all my settings again.
cyborblades

I had the crashing all the time when hitting print preview, the program just closes and you lose everything. This happened a ton of times so I went back to 4.0.1. I used that for a week or so and then started using 4.1.1 and it has not crashed since. I have no clue what is the issue but I still have artifact issues that I do not have when I use 4.0.1. I emailed support and never got an answer. I am beginning to think Cura is looking better all the time and its FREE.
I used to defend owning S3D because so many hate the price. As long as it works I was ok with it. But just when it seems to work great along comes an update and it goes to crap again.
I would like to see a fix.
cyborblades

I tried to turn off Hardware Acceleration and it is slow as heck. I have a new laptop with Win 10 64 bit specd for CAD so it has loads of memory video memory and I7 processor. It handles all these programs very fast so I am sure my issue is not with hardware. $1500 machine I am sure S3D is not too much for it.
mikebosschaert

Apparently this problem is still not solved, and there is a striking silence from the S3D support side in this discussion. Meanwhile S3D seems to announce a paid upgrade to v5. Bizar strategy to force users to spend money to (possibly) get a functional application again!
Please, S3D developers, solve this problem for the current users!
Mike
S3D-Jake

S3D-Alex wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:54 am
weepee14 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:40 pm I'm having a similar situation. Simplify3d crashing when I turn off retraction, or if I turn retraction to zero.
This may have something to do with the current Acceleration Mode of your software. Please go to Tools > Options > Visualization and try the "Disable Hardware Acceleration" option. Alternatively, you can also choose to not "Automatically load preview after slicing" and this will slice the file properly as well.

These modes are meant to try and compensate for outdated graphics drivers and/or cards so the best solution is to make sure you have the most up-to-date drivers available for your specific setup. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
In the latest version (4.1.2) of Simplify3D this issue with combining retraction visualizations and having retractions turned off, while also using a graphics card that defaults to compatibility mode is fixed! We confirmed the issue after your reports here on these forums brought it to our attention. We're quite thankful for your help in this area and will always be striving to improve our product for you all to better enjoy. If you would like to read more about the major improvements from this latest release please see the link below.

Release Notes

Thank you!
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”