Rebekah_harper

Re: Start of print not extruding for several cm

Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:19 pm

Great and inventive.

Stepping up a gear. Could something be done if using PVA as support and ABS as part material?

BaronWilliams

Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:43 pm

Rebekah_harper wrote:Great and inventive.

Stepping up a gear. Could something be done if using PVA as support and ABS as part material?
You unfortunately can't print most ABS on most PVA. I say "most" because I've run into several variants of ABS throughout my printing experience and I haven't tried them all. I've had ABS that sticks well to PET tape, ABS that doesn't, ABS that dissolves in acetone easily, ABS that doesn't, ABS that dissolves in limonene, ABS that doesn't, etc.

PVA is usually used with PLA. HIPS is usually used with ABS. Although HIPS requires solvents to dissolve it, while PVA dissolves in pure water.

Ola

Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:09 pm

This does not work for me. Each process will separately print a purge wall, but printing both processes together only results in one single wall.
I am using Simplify3D ver. 2.2.2

BaronWilliams

Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:41 pm

The tricks for getting two separate purge walls for a dual color print that I used to do are no longer supported in the latest versions Simplify3D :cry: It now merges the purge walls into a single color purge wall (unless the 2 colors are printed far away from each other) :cry:

Ola

Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:47 am

So they actually downgraded S3D?
They made it worse?
Did I pay them to do this?

BaronWilliams

Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:49 pm

Ola wrote:So they actually downgraded S3D?
They made it worse?
Did I pay them to do this?
No, it was an "upgrade". The loss of functionality wasn't intentional.

See here: http://www.simplify3d.com/software/changelog/

In Version 2.2.0, this new feature made tricks to get 2 skirts no longer work:

* Improved interaction of rafts, skirts, and support structures for multi-process builds

Before 2.2.0, you could make 2 processes use 2 different extruders for a dual extrusion model, and each process could have it's own skirt. It only worked well if the 2 different parts of your model were roughly the same size horizontally and in roughly the same location on the build plate, otherwise it wouldn't work. Most of my dual extrusion models satisfied these requirements. I would set the height of the skirts to 99999, and make them different distances from the model so they created 2 different skirts. This was sort of a trick to get 2 purge walls. It worked very well for certain models only.

From version 2.2.0 to the current 2.2.2, this trick produces a single merged skirt which is the combination of the two skirts. This single skirt is made using the extruder from the first process. This is why the trick no longer works.

Version 2.2.0, did improve skirts for multi-process builds using 1 extruder, where skirts from multiple processes might not line up properly, but it messed up this trick I used to make 2 different skirts for dual extrusion.

The skirt merging feature of 2.2.0 should have been OPTIONAL :| It made several of my factory files, which relied on these tricks, incompatible with Simplify3D 2.2.0 to the current 2.2.2, which I'm not so happy about.

Ola

Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:51 pm

Ok.
You seem to be fairly competent, how do you solve this?

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”