JBSchroeds

[SOLVED] 4.1.1 "Place Surface on Bed" broken

Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:48 am

I've found that the "Place Surface on Bed" feature is broken after upgrading from 4.0. The selected surface is no longer put on the bed, instead it is placed parallel to the bed and then at a height as if the "Drop Model to Table" option was chosen. So if the surface isn't the lowest one on the model it will not be on the bed. This is not how it used to work and is not the expected (or desired) behavior.

S3D-Alex

Re: [4.1.1] "Place Surface on Bed" broken

Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:19 pm

Can you please post a Factory File showing this behavior?

tonyno

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:00 pm

I've seen this and just thought that's how it was implemented. LOL

I'd rather it do exactly as I say. If a portion of the model ends up under the build plate, so be it.

Load any model and select a face that is not at the model extremes. You will see it.

zemlin

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:17 pm

JBSchroeds wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:48 am
This is not how it used to work and is not the expected (or desired) behavior.
I have 4.0, 4.01 and 4.1.1 on my machine and all three versions behave the same. I have a model with parallel surfaces and regardless of which surface I select it does not drop the model into the table - so while I can understand why you might want it to work so when you pick ANY surface it is placed on the bed regardless of the height on the model, it doesn't look like anything changed between 4.0 and 4.1.1.

JBSchroeds

Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:27 pm

Why has this thread been marked "solved"? Is this the correct behavior of this function? If so, could we get it renamed in the future because it doesn't do what it is being described by the name. Or add a popup that says "The selected surface causes portions of the model to clip into the bed. [Proceed] [Raise model to prevent clipping]"
S3D-Alex wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:19 pm
Can you please post a Factory File showing this behavior?
But this is not a model dependent issue. It happens with any complex object where the selected face would cause part of the model to clip through the bed. This clipping is actually the desired outcome if you are sectioning a model to print in multiple pieces.
zemlin wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:17 pm
I have 4.0, 4.01 and 4.1.1 on my machine and all three versions behave the same. I have a model with parallel surfaces and regardless of which surface I select it does not drop the model into the table - so while I can understand why you might want it to work so when you pick ANY surface it is placed on the bed regardless of the height on the model, it doesn't look like anything changed between 4.0 and 4.1.1.
I just tried it with my old 4.0 install and it appears you are correct. I swear it used to work differently with the selected surface actually being placed on the bed no matter what clipping issues may arise, but I don't have any older versions installed to test it on (and Simplify3D bafflingly does not host old versions).

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”