jsu3960862

First Layer Gaps

Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:12 pm

Hello S3D,

I am trying to figure out why there is a gap on my first layer. It's like a 1-.5mm gap. I've scaled it up and moved it from the center. It seems like its a bug.

Let me know what I can do. I have attached an image and the factory file.

Thanks.
Attachments
penta_coaster.factory
(643.43 KiB) Downloaded 42 times

S3D-Jake

Re: First Layer Gaps

Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:54 pm

The G-Code resulting from your factory file looks to indicate a first layer height of 0.36 mm. If the nozzle is closer to 1 mm, I'd suggest looking at the homing location of your printer to see if the Z endstop is being triggered too early due to obstructions and also seeing if the build platform needs to be re-leveled / adjusted.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

dkightley

Re: First Layer Gaps

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:45 pm

I see what your problem is! You're using consentric infill in a situation where consentric infill is not really a good idea because a multiple of the widths of the extrusion doesn't match the available width...and you end up with a gap.

Using a rectilinear external fill will resolve the issue....but I feel you really want concentric infill for a better looking finish....so you'll need to tune the parameters to get a compromise!!!

Try upping the Outline overlap (in infill tab) to around 75% and see what the difference is in the simulation for the first layer. Adjusting the infill %age width will have an effect as well. You need to go through a "tweak and see" phase, adjusting the settings that affect the first layer and external fill until you get the best compromise.....
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”