dennisjm

Dual Extruder Support Distance not honored consistently

I do some printing now and then with round edged containers. Sometimes, when I want the quality really good I use PVA as a support material and print with 0 offset from the part.

This used to work fine as far as I can remember back but lately in 4.1.1 I'm having issues with the first layer not matching the part.
Screen Shot 2019-01-21 at 11.40.56 AM.png
You can see in the screenshot how there is a pretty large gap between the support and body. This creates one layer where the body is printed on air (or rather an extra large gap between plastic and bed). After the 2nd layer, it starts working as expected.

Attaching factory file. Am I missing something in my settings or is this a bug?
Test.factory
(45.12 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
dennisjm

Re: Dual Extruder Support Distance not honored consistently

I found the bug after digging some more on a print today.

The issue is that the solid layers don't print at all if there isn't enough space to print ALL of them. So if I have 3 solid layers of support and there is only one layer below the first layer of real material, I get no solid support at all.
S3D-Alex

Re: Dual Extruder Support Distance not honored consistently

Thank you for bringing this up! Currently Simplify3D will ignore Support Pillars that will only be one layer tall or shorter. For prints like yours here with PVA this can be an issue. I have documented this and made the development team aware.

In the meantime I would suggest doing the following.

1. Double click the model to open the Model Settings Panel and raise the Z height by 1mm or so.
2. Generate Automatic Supports just like you did previously.
3. Use Ctrl + T to drop the part back to the bed to once again be flush with the build surface
4. Now hit Prepare to Print!

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”