Brit

pausing, then returning too high

Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:31 am

I am new with simplyfy3d. When I pause, the nozzle doesn't go back to the right place – returning to an offset by a centimetre or so. I thought maybe it was a fluke the first time it happened. I have been running a 14 hour print and began to run out of filament. I put it on pause again, changed the filament and again it went back and began printing about 1 centimetre high (and it think also off on the x and y axis a bit)…. I tried this 2-3 times. Same thing. Any suggestions?

JoeJ

Re: pausing, then returning too high

Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:45 am

How long did you have the machine paused? A lot of printers have a timeout "feature" where the current to the motors will be disabled after a certain period of time. Once you lose current, it's very likely that the Z axis will shift and pretty easy to move the XY too. Or maybe just the act of you pushing on the extruder head was enough to make it move, not sure...

I use the pause feature all the time and it always comes right back to the exact location where it was printing. But of course, I also have made sure my firmware is configured properly to avoid the current timeout and I'm careful not to jostle the extruder carriage

Brit

Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:09 pm

I have changed the filament many times using the Repitier (that comes with my Creatr - using Cura or Slic3r G-codes). I have not had a problem or any time-outs. At first I had problem getting the printer to pause at all with Simplify3d when I installed last week - The Communications tab said it was some sort of communication problem with the motherboard.

....as I write this, I am pausing my writing......

.....now that I'm reconnected with my keyboard...

I had just now tried pausing the printer, lowering the bed, retracting and extruding and then returning to the print (with a small 20 minute print) and it worked fine. I am now thinking that it is either a motherboard or USB problem (though it is a new motherboard and USB, after shorting the first MB trying to change the hot end). Or it was something weird with the G-code...but the print came out OK in the end (though it is now in 2 pieces, sliced in Netfabb where the print stopped; they can easily be joined). Hopefully it sorted itself out.

Brit

Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:06 am

Another strange but possibly related problem resulted when I saw that Simply3d was printing my file with large holes in it (in the back so I didn't catch it). I tired again using Cura's g-code (which is better with "bad" files ....it did make a gcode without holes). The print started as it always does with Cura gcodes (used in Simplify3d), by going down 1.5 centemeters, and up to the Z home...but this time the Z home was about 1 cementer below the platform..pressing it down (fortunately the nozzle survived this one). The home in Repitier and Simplify3d are normal- just below the nozzle.

....why can't I see the complete gcode in Simplyfy3d when its printing? I can see it in Repitier (which crashes now when I open it... and when re-installing it has connection problems with arduino...then crashes again).

I fixed the file in 3dsMax and now its printing fine in Simplyfy3d. This strange Cura behaviour only happened after putting in the new printer motherboard. I'm guessing that is the problem.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”