Cor

Surfaces not connected

Greetings,

Still learning with designing and drawing. I am using Rhinoceros to make a small box ( battery holder with some electronics) , but the surfaces they don't connect , although I dragged them with "object snap"to the right location.
1.jpg
Basically it is 2 boxes , joint together and the sides are joint solids , the rear side looks fine , but the front side is detached. Even if I move the front side a tentth of a milimeter inside the box , it still prints as a loose object. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
2.jpg
4.jpg
Many thanks,
Cor
Last edited by Cor on Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cor

Re: Surfaces not connected

hmmm, couldn't attch the stl file. Here it is:
Attachments
box_bottom_test1.stl
(296.27 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
dkightley

The answer is so close to the title of the thread.....

You need to use the "Separate Connected Surfaces" option on the Mesh dropdown. That will separate the five meshes in the stl into five separate models in S3D. The shape will then slice nicely.

You made the shape up of five separate pieces....and I'm sure Rhinoceros has a decent Boolean addition function that will join the separate pieces together. If you don't use it...or if it messes things up (which Boolean addition does do on occasions) then you can fall back onto S3D's magic option!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
Cor

@ dkightley: Cool , I thought the Boolean was to "remove" parts , but I with your help I saw there is also a "union" function i n the boolean section. That does exactly as you said in your post. Now it is working fine! .
Many many thanks,
Cor

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”