Ohm

Retraction not occurring?

Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:09 pm

I'm using version 4.1.1 and trying to print the object at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2372291 and can't seem to find settings that allow it to print without strings running all throughout the inside of it. It looks like it's doing no retraction what so ever and possibly also just crossing right through the center of the object with the start of every layer - though I assume that's not the case because I don't believe the gcode contains such travel moves. With virtually every layer printed, it moves to a different part of the inside, dragging a long string with it. I'm fairly certain I don't have retraction problems and haven't seen this sort of thing occur since the wipe bug was resolved in 4.1. I tried toggling wipe on/off, I've increased my "Avoid crossing outline for travel movements" up to 4 mm, I've tried turning off "minimum travel for retraction", and I've tried both inside-out and outside-in printing. All of the above result in a ton of interior, full-fledged strings from one side to the other (and not just the wispy kind - these look like there was no attempt at retraction at all).

In the attached gcode, you can see retraction occurring at each layer - through layer 18. Then starting with layer 19, no more retraction, despite travel moves with no extrusion to get to the next random point.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Attachments
Jigger_1.0_0.50_Rev2.0.gcode.zip
(2 MiB) Downloaded 19 times

S3D-Jake

Re: Retraction not occurring?

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:48 pm

Can you attach your factory file? Your settings appear to be configured correctly so that you'll get retractions whne crossing open spaces and the G-Code file doesn't look to have any travel moves across open spaces. The factory file will allow us to work in the 3D view to examine your part's geometry and confirm that this is the case.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”