gearsawe

4.0.1 vs 4.1.1 loss of layer control

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:33 am

The biggest loss in 4.1.1 is the control of layers per layer.
if 2 processes exist on the same layer they are counted as 2 layers which was great in 4.0.1. I could put a pause in there change out colors mid layer. No other slicer I have found could do this. All other programs it was all or nothing per layer. But there were some contour issues.

4.1.1 fixed some of the contour issues but then the 2 proccess on the same layer are now all one layer. not 2 "layers" on the same sliced layer. This I feel was a huge step back in control of the software. I can no longer do some of the advance prints I could do with this software that I use to.

need a blend of 4.1.1 and 4.0.1 better slicing contour following and better layer control.
_2019_02_10_t22_12_17.png
_2019_02_10_t22_13_56.png
factor posted.
Attachments
TestLetter.factory
(15.42 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

S3D-Jake

Re: 4.0.1 vs 4.1.1 loss of layer control

Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:08 am

The layer numbering now attempts to only increment when a vertical change has been made. You can still key your replace script off of the process comment. Take a look at your G-Code file. You should notice that were the previous layer 2 comment was, you'll find a process 2 comment.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

gearsawe

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:45 pm

Still is broke in my book.
Can't search for the first instance of a process and pause. if it looks for the process name only it would pause every time it hits the process.
So there needs to be an option to "Increment layer at start of every process" not just Z value change. Plus it was nice to increment by layer and see each process start in the preview. Not just everything on each layer.
Now have to switch back 4.0.1 to make things works. I am not manually editing gcode anymore. It was very easy to insert via script at the layer# when every process was a layer. To completely change functionality is bad design. If there is a change the option should be there implement it or not.

This is what I loved about S3D it ability to do things not even the $100,000 printers not could do.

gearsawe

Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:45 am

Okay after fighting with this for a couple days. I now add to the end of the of a process name something like white-pause-
then the search replace script inserts the pause code when it finds -pause-.
so now at the beginning of the process it will pause. Guess the big plus is I don't have to find layer numbers. can program the pause directly before processing the file the first time.

Again documentation of this change would have been nice. I do read release notes so stuff does not hit me on an actual job.
if guess this was the change
"The layer number that is displayed during Preview Mode has been updated so that it is more intuitive for multi-process prints"
Maybe should read
"Layer numbers are now per physical layer change vs the previous new layer number per process change per layer"

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”