guitartoys

STL Orientation on Import

Hi,

I'm really stuck here, and I'm sure this is something simple. I'm using Fusion 360. I have my preferences set to Z Up.

But when I export the STL files, and then import them into S3D, I have to flip them -90 degrees in the X-Axis. Normally not a problem, but I'm trying to do a dual head print, and when flipping the X-Axis individually, the 2 models then don't line up.

Is there any way to have S3D import the STL already oriented with Z-Up.

I'm dealing with a step file in fusion, and don't have normal geometries for me to try to work with.

Thanks.

Michael
wirlybird

Re: STL Orientation on Import

My exports of native Fusion files to STL work fine when coming into S3D so my guess is that the orientation in the step may be the problem.

I have seen files brought into Fusion that looked like they were the right side up but did go into a slicer with a different orientation.
tonyno

Try Tools, Options, Models tab, and add an Import Action (rotate).
S3D-Jake

If you can't resolve the issue by changing your design settings in Fusion 360 you can always try using an import action from the Tools > Options > Model options menu. Your options there are scale, translate and rotate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8ytvwfCn5g
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”