TheAtomicSoul

Error When Creating Manual Supports

In every version AFTER 4.0.0 (including v4.1.2) whenever I create manual supports that overlap, the overlapping areas are treated as gaps in the support print, rather than creating the appropriate level in the supports like it does in v4.0.0

Pictured is the exact same part and settings in v4.0.0 vs v4.1.2.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1srf0he ... sp=sharing
Last edited by S3D-Jake on Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed title spelling
S3D-Alex

Re: Error When Creating Manual Suppors

Can you please post a Factory File so we can look into this further?
S3D-Jake

Thanks for posting your factory files. I see that your infill, outlines, and support all overlap. Can you please give more detail on this use case, as I'm currently not sure that the software was designed to handle such a setup?
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
TheAtomicSoul

Not sure what you mean; the overlap of infill and outlines works to keep my prints "airtight" and doesn't cause any issues in the physical prints.
I don't see how those settings would cause the support structure have holes in it due to the manually place supports overlapping. Or how that was not a problem in the previous version but is in the newer ones.

The supports intersect with the model because the support designs are squares, and I try to place it so the supports are where I feel they're needed the most/best.
There's a setting to keep the supports X far from the models surface, so I would assume this is expected.?
Supports end up overlapping because I want supports on some bottom surface but not on others (like I don't need supports INSIDE pin holes, but I do need them on that part of models base beneath/around it) or I want to add supports to areas that the auto-support didn't generate.

The factory files I linked to are exact same file opened in different versions of the program (Which they both seem to share the same account/source file, so it automatically opens the same file with the same supports. )

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16X23gA ... sp=sharing
Check the linked file out, made in v 4.1.2, and go to layer 28: in it, you can see that the manually placed ones have gaps where they overlap. It seems if over an X amount of the supports overlap it generates a hole. (On this layer you can also see where the automatically placed ones first surface layers are being generated as separate parts. In the next layer they are combined. )

I honestly believe something was changed on how the support structures are being generated after v4.0.0, since it only started having this issue after that version, and because it still works correctly in this version using the same file that doesn't work in the newer ones.
TheAtomicSoul

S3D-Jake wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:56 am Thanks for posting your factory files.
Does your computer show up the gaps I see in the support structure in v4.1.2?
smeagollum

Re: Error When Creating Manual Supports

I see the same as the OP, and it makes no sense that S3D should create holes where supports overlap.

Placing supports manually with overlap is an easy way to ensure that all of the area you want supported is covered, and that worked as it should in version 4.0.1 (and earlier). In later versions, S3D simply does not generate supports where supports overlap, and that makes no sense.

S3D should just merge overlapping supports silently, simple as that. In the current version, the only workaround is to meticulously ensure that (manual) supports are placed without overlap. Clearly doable, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”