kombolasha

Missing supports

I've been messing with this model for a while and it's driving me nuts. I want 0% infill, 0 bottom layers, but supports for the parts whose bottom layers start off the bed. I have tried every setting i can think of and cannot get the supports to show up in the preview. I've attached my factory file. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
preview.PNG
PLA.fff
(9.96 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
S3D-Alex

Re: Missing supports

The file you posted is actually a profile and not a Factory File. The Factory File will contain model information that is needed to fully diagnose your issue here. The Factory File can be saved by going into Simplify3D and choosing File > Save Factory File As.
kombolasha

Thanks, Alex. Sorry, new to S3D. I've attached what I hope is the correct file. I appreciate your help.
Last edited by kombolasha on Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S3D-Alex

No need to apologize! The Factory File you attached does seem to be a different model though. Just a guess but from the Factory File you sent and the screenshot here I would guess this is probably a mesh error with your model. These can be identified by going to Repair > Identify Non-Manifold edges and Repair > Identify Self-Intersecting Surfaces.
dkightley

What you are trying to achieve here is impossible to achieve in the way you are trying. You specify zilch INSIDE a model...and then say you want something INSIDE the model! You can't have both!

What you will nee to do is either put some infill to support the top...or redesign the part so that it is hollow on the underside...and then you will be able to place support - to hold the outer surface of the model. There may also be ways to include a second part inside the zero-filled model.....I've never tried this approach, so will refrain from suggesting how it can be achieved.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
kombolasha

Doug, I think I understand what you're trying to say. You mean that a hollow part with 0 bottom layers does not equal a "shelled" part. That makes enough sense to me.
As to your suggestions, adding infill with no bottom layer wouldn't work, S3D just won't do it. I suppose redesigning the part so that it's hollow is the proper way to go about it.
My factory file is too large to attach, but I have enough guidance on the issue. Thank you both!

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”