Webfeger

normal view and print view different

Fri May 03, 2019 4:22 pm

Hello,

i want to print a cylinder with a notch. In normal view everything is fine, but if i switch to print preview, the notch is printed first and the cylinder floats in the height. it also would print the notch first. But in normal view cylinder and notch using the same start layer/level

Anybody can help me to find the reason?

Best regards,
Webfeger
Attachments
rotoryVgateDrum.stl
(288.75 KiB) Downloaded 40 times

parallyze

Re: normal view and print view different

Fri May 03, 2019 5:55 pm

Just tested this as I'm currently interested in how different versions of s3d handle model files:

S3D v4.1.2 -> Seperate connected surfaces -> 3 parts
One of them (lower inner cylinder) shows problems in viewport already:

Slicing preview shows notch/cylinder starting at the same height but the lower center hole is missing.

S3D v4.0.0 -> Seperate connected surfaces -> "The selected mesh is already a single connected surface"

Slicing preview looks like the original poster mentioned, the lower cylinder starts when that "notch" part
is printed.

Webfeger wrote: Anybody can help me to find the reason?
Sorry if that doesn't really help you right now. But you might want to add a factory file of how you've setup
the part to print/slice so others can see exactly what's going on: "File -> Save Factory File..."

Note: I didn't do any further tests nor am I saying the model is ok/faulty. I'm just interested in how
different versions (and other slicers) handle this (the two others I've tested do properly in this case).

bye,
Daniel

dkightley

Fri May 03, 2019 7:40 pm

This model is too broken for S3D to be able to slice it correctly with or without using the Separate Connected Surfaces option. And you're right that different versions of S3D either separate the meshes out, or fail to do so. The tipping point is v4.1.0

I've loaded the stl into the Win10 app 3dBuilder and it has repaired it sufficiently for it to (I think) print correctly.

Attached is the repaired file in .3mf format...which S3D will load and hopefully slice how you want it.
Attachments
rotoryVgateDrum.3mf
(115.22 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

Webfeger

Sat May 04, 2019 3:06 am

Thanks!!

I forgot the way to check it out with 3D Builder
Now it works, Thanks again !!