oryhara

Build area not updating

I have 2 printers. One has a 200mm^2 bed, the other 300mm^2. Each has its own Process in simplify3d.
However, the build area defaults to the larger printer, and will center on that one(150,150) which means parts larger than 100mm in either X or Y dimension will end up off the bed if I "Prepare to Print" for the smaller machine.
Selecting the smaller machine process does not change the displayed build area. Only if i go edit that process and save will it update the build area and center a part properly.
Selecting the smaller machine process in the 'Prepare to Print' dialog does not alter build volume or re-center the part for that machine.

I'm so far very impressed with the print quality from this software, but find it very behind Slic3r in its ability to deal with different machines.
wirlybird

Re: Build area not updating

Sounds like you need two printer profiles and not processes.
One profile for each printer.
oryhara

Each printer has its own profile within its own process. Profiles are not visible(at least I can't find them) from the main screen where the build area and model are shown.
oryhara

also: at the risk of complaining, I don't want to have to drill down into a process and select a different profile when switching machines. From the main window, I should be able to click something that tells the software to switch from one machine to the other.

Going into the (assumed shared) process to select a different profile is a very cumbersome workflow to print on a second machine.

As user coming from Slic3r, it is my experience that there is a machine selection dropdown in the main window, and it easily allows me to change to my other printer.
horst.w

... so it is!

I'm using profils for my Mankati and my Anet A8 and additional I store the printer profil related to the filament in use. So I need only one click to call all settings concerning the printer and the actual material.

horst.w
GER
PrinterProfils.png
oryhara

That is within the Process editing window. As I stated, it works if I open that and select a profile.

its "one click" if you open the process editing window.

And if that is the correct solution to this problem then so be it, but I retain my position that slic3r has superior multi-printer handling.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”