cmarko

Crashing, saving profiles, closing profile window, saving factory files, etc.

My copy of simplify3d has been crashing with increasing frequency. I can not reliably save any settings and in many cases slicing models will result in a crash as well. This has been happening for a couple months, in that time I've read most of the troubleshooting in the bug reports regarding crashes. I've reinstalled, deleted profiles etc.
IMHO the only way the profile crashing bug can be avoided is to know what specifically causes it. If there is a combination of settings that makes the profiles unstable, please publish this so we can avoid using it.

I have resorted to transferring settings to paper and using screen shots in order to preserve some of my work. Has anyone found the specific cause of these crashes?

I am using
Windows 7 on a core I7
Amd radeon graphics
Simplify 4.1.2
dkightley

Re: Crashing, saving profiles, closing profile window, saving factory files, etc.

Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
cmarko

Re: Crashing, saving profiles, closing profile window, saving factory files, etc.

dkightley wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:26 pm Have a read of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12998&p=49941&hilit ... ers#p49941

Doesn't apply to my problem with crashing. I do not use accent characters.
SusiT140V

Hi cmarko,

What you have is likely a corrupted profile (FFF) that is 'infecting' the others.

Go through your saved profiles and try to export each one in turn.
If a profile is badly corrupted, it will crash S3D.
After you restart, just delete the one that crashed.

Do NOT load or try to use any further profiles, just go through the whole list doing the same process.
Trying to use another profile, will spread the damage to that profile as well.

Once you have exported all the profiles, reset S3D back to default settings (in Help menu).

Before you import any of the exported settings, go look at their sizes.
If they are below 11.1KB (especially if they are 0-length), just delete them and recreate them manually.
(You are often better off deleting the whole lot and starting from scratch anyway)

The comments others have said about 'non-standard' characters will start the crashing chain of events.
Sometimes it just happens repeatedly on some computers - no-one seems to know why. (It's usually reported as some QT-related crash)

I had this happen repeatedly on two different computers - a beast of a laptop, and serious beast (for the time) PC.
It all stopped when I built a computer using an Intel NUC.
Never did get to the bottom of it. :(

Hope you find this useful.

All the best,
Susi.
cmarko

SusiT140V wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 7:51 am Hi cmarko,

What you have is likely a corrupted profile (FFF) that is 'infecting' the others.

Go through your saved profiles and try to export each one in turn.
If a profile is badly corrupted, it will crash S3D.
After you restart, just delete the one that crashed.

Do NOT load or try to use any further profiles, just go through the whole list doing the same process.
Trying to use another profile, will spread the damage to that profile as well.

Once you have exported all the profiles, reset S3D back to default settings (in Help menu).

Before you import any of the exported settings, go look at their sizes.
If they are below 11.1KB (especially if they are 0-length), just delete them and recreate them manually.
(You are often better off deleting the whole lot and starting from scratch anyway)

The comments others have said about 'non-standard' characters will start the crashing chain of events.
Sometimes it just happens repeatedly on some computers - no-one seems to know why. (It's usually reported as some QT-related crash)

I had this happen repeatedly on two different computers - a beast of a laptop, and serious beast (for the time) PC.
It all stopped when I built a computer using an Intel NUC.
Never did get to the bottom of it. :(

Hope you find this useful.

All the best,
Susi.
Hi Susi, Thank you so much for the suggestions. One very quick question: Would you mind checking the properties for for the 11.1KB profiles you have that are clean. I'd like to know if that's the actual file size or if it is the file size on disk. Typically the file size on disk is slightly larger. Have you found an explanation for the minimum FFF size at 11.1KB? -or- Was this minimum file size you discovered through experimentation? I have about 20 profiles that are between 9kb and 12kb and I'd like to be sure they are problematic before I transcribe all of that work.
SusiT140V

Hi again.

Glad I could help shed some light.

The 11.1k came from the default profile that is installed when you set up S3D.

From memory, I currently don’t have any less than that.

I’m on holiday at the moment, but I will have a look when I get back for you.
Be a couple of days...

Cheers,
Susi.
XoTT@6bI4

:D Are you using a 32 bit version? Close all programs before closing S3D. Free up RAM. The developer records the profile in small pieces of 1GB :mrgreen: .

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”