doublehelix

gap between shells/no infill

Hello guys,
I really love Simplify3D, but after some work I got an issue during slicing. I try to print a small part, but every time I slice it there is
a gap between the outer and inner shell of the part. I know that my extrusion width is so small that it creates this gap. But how can I close it, if I dont want to change the extrusion width? Cause as far as I know the best width is as big as your nozzle size. Infill @ 100% doesnt do the job.
I'm very thankful for any help.

here is a pic of what I mean:

My settings:

Nozzle Diameter: 0.4mm
Extrusion Width: 0.4mm
Extrusion Multiplier: 0.88
Layer Height: 0.22mm

greez
Doublehelix
jimc

Re: gap between shells/no infill

something doesnt look right with any of that preview. even the way the perimeters are. usually when thing arent right like that its a problem with the model. if there is a problem with it then s3d cant figure out whats going on and how much and where to put the infill. did you run it through netfabb? can you post it here and someone can check it out?
vOidward

Lowering extrusion width would close the gap. Raising it would actually do it too, albeit with less shells. It doesn't want to extrude lines or infill when it's lower than the nozzle width because that shouldn't fit. Lowering the extrusion width would force it to try and do so. Ideally, it would put a single line in between there but S3D has no function for doing that.

On the other hand, I'll mirror what jimc said, it looks like there's some non-manifold or self-intersection going on with your model. There's no way it should be doing infill on non-enclosed surfaces.
Kitacooch

Hi there, I'm a newbie so don't take what i say as being correct. I have same issues with my very small prints and the only way i have fixed it to some extent is to adjust the (Outline Overlap) in the layer settings. I find myself adjusting this all the time between different prints as most of mine have some wall thickness of 1-2mm in sections.
I am still having some gap issues and it can only be fixed by Extrusion width settings however this can often ruin the print if you don't actually change the extruder.
jimc

Small prints are always tough. Its a resoluton thing. The nozzle extrudes filament at a certain dia so it ca either fit an extrusion where you want it or not. We can sort of fudge to whole thing a bit with extrusion width, outline overlap and the thin wall fill adjustment but thats it. If it doesnt fit then it doesnt fit and s3d wont put one. For small pri ts its best to run 1 perimeter then run a high or solid infill. With this you wont have any gaps.
jimmybuckets

Under advanced setting of the process screen there is an area for Thin Wall settings. Also under infill settings there is a minimum infill length setting. Those should solve your problems.
JoeJ

Those look like REALLY tiny gaps in the picture. Only about 10% of an extrusion width wide. Are they ending up being much larger than that when you actually print it? Maybe it's just a first layer issue, or under extrusion.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”