nfol

Re: Connection error

@S3D-Jake

Thank you. I will look into that.
nfol

@S3D-Jake:

I now allowed simplify3D.exe in Windows Firewall.

Unfortunately this does not help, even I at the same time switch off my other firewall program.

I do not understand why S3D is so complicated on this point, when I have several other programs that makes connections on the net without trouble.

I am not able to make use of "Check for updates" og "Configuration Assistent". :-(
greybeard

It should have Nothing to do with connection errors to the net. But, s3d shouldn't have gates to jump through like signing in to use non-cloud based software...

Call it my error or a 'Senior moment'. However, not knowing the guts of S3d I posted the only other element of communication in the software - call a 'Stab in the dark'

Having demonstrated my stupidity, I'll tell you how I stopped having the same problem on my two iMacs (one with snow Leopard, the other with Sierra):

Once logged into s3d and successfully booting s3d, I turned off all connections to the outside world using the software "Little Snitch". I don't use the 'Check for Updates' I simply login to the site and download. I learned to never update s3d until days after the release and reading about the new bugs...

screenshot of of Little Snitch's Monitor panel showing s3d is blocked. The important thing is getting logged-in, booting the software, and never letting it communicate again with the s3d site. discovered this solution 4 years ago and haven't had the problem since...

anyway , apologize for confusing you....

[EDIT] added screenshot showing no longer logged in yet, s3d still working (because it can't connect to site and get connection error)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 9.00.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 8.20.33 AM.png
3D Print Parts
https://www.thingiverse.com/Still_Breathing/designs
nfol

Thank you, Greybeard.

But cutting all connections is not a solution for me as I want to use the configuration assistant. In this forum, I was adviced to use this when I asked how to use two extruders. So, I am stuck on this problem and cannot proceed to use two extruders.
greybeard

I looked at my notes and was reminded of the solution to the same problem - perhaps specific to me but, I had TWO login names & passwords; One for the Forum and a Different One for the Software. I kept trying to use the wrong one.

Once realizing that, I changed the login info and, Bingo!.. After that, I blocked communications to simplify. Look into it...

Having said that, once you establish your setup for second extruder, consider blocking simplify....
3D Print Parts
https://www.thingiverse.com/Still_Breathing/designs
Sorento

Unfortunately, I have the same problem on my Mac. I have been corresponding with the support team and they suggested me to turn off my firewall, antivirus and port blocker but I am not using any of these.

Seems so many ppl getting into the same problem, it should be kinda bug in the software that they need to fix it.
jhaupt

Same problem on Linux (Debian). I find that it usually starts working if I restart my computer, but sometimes it takes a few tries.

No firewall in my case, and as of a few months ago this problem didn't exist. It had been fine, and then one day it just started having this connection error. I tried releasing and renewing my IP address as well as resetting the network interface without restarting the computer, but that doesn't do it. I don't know what the magic is, but somehow the computer has to actually restart. Anyway, this is a work PC so I'm not obliged to invest too much time troubleshooting this.

I would like to second the comment expressing discontent that a program that is not cloud based should need to connect to the mother ship every time it gets used. I understand the need to protect against piracy but then it really NEEDS to work without fail. Some people depend on this program for work.

~Justine
jhaupt

Quick update: I realized I was still running 4.0.0. I just updated to 4.1.2 and it's working for now.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”