underconstruction

First Layer not extruding at 100%

Hello Everyone,
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I am a new user of Simplify 3D and I appear to be having one pesky issue that I can’t seem to fathom out. I am printing with ABS which I know can be temperamental. I utilise rafts and turn off the cooling fan as always. The raft prints fine and then the oddest thing happens. The first layer of the part itself seems to be grainy every time I print. (as seen in the photo) Luckily this part didn’t curl up and I can use it. However, sometimes this first layer does not stick to the raft and it inevitably warps. Now I have the first layer speed set to 30% with length and width at 100%. The first layer is far from being 100%. No matter what speed I slow down to, it’s not quite 100% Infill? The very top outer shell wall (final layers) come out absolutely fine. Any ideas guys? Thanks in advance.
p.s. (I did have a look amongst your other threads but couldn’t see anything at a glance)
Attachments
Dscn6228.jpg
S3D-Alex

Re: First Layer not extruding at 100%

This sort of print quality can occur if you are printing the first layer of your part too far away from the raft. This is a delicate balance as getting too close can cause the past to adhere too well to the raft. I would suggest trying to print your part approximately .03mm closer to the raft.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”