nerys

Vase mode not working for some reason specific case

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:38 pm

I have a part that prints sloppy as its 1 perimeter.

SO I did variable to split it and did the single perm part in vase mode.

it won't do it. it ignores the vase mode command and does it in single mode which of course is sloppy.

its the processed called carriage (the part bottom right)

the top section (carriage 2) is supposed to be vase mode but its clearly showing single mode with retractions.

not sure what I am doing wrong. any suggestions?

now if I tell it to make that section solid (merge outlines) it properly does vase mode and I will try that. but I am not sure if that is going to change the part dimensionally or not.

any ideas?

Factory file attached.
Attachments
Bolt Action Pen.factory
(765.76 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

dkightley

Re: Vase mode not working for some reason specific case

Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:42 pm

Please allow me to explain why you are having issues trying to use the "vase" printing mode...….

Firstly, lets settle a common confusion in terminology. Look at this shot of the part you're wanting to print. It' got the top cut off..:
Capture.JPG
Please humour me here.....what I'm about to say may sound slightly patronising...but it far from it. Promise!

Firstly, the surface the red arrows are pointing at is the OUTSIDE of the part...and also is the OUTSIDE of the shape being printed. Secondly, the surface that the blue arrows are pointing to is the INSIDE of the part....but is actually also the OUTSIDE of the shape being printed. And just for completeness, the black arrows point to the INSIDE of the shape being printed.

Why have I said this?? Well, "vase" printing is designed to extrude a perimeter along all of the OUTSIDE surfaces of the shape...in theory as a single path in the form of a spiral. In your model, the slicer ends up trying to create a path around the outside of the model...and then around the inside of the part...then around the outside...then the inside...and so on!. Essentially...…"vase" printing cannot work when there is an "internal" OUTSIDE surface...AKA a hole!

When you set the "Merge all outlines into a single solid object" flag is does exactly what is says...and fills in the hole. This leaves a single OUTSIDE surface....and the shape will happily print in "vase" mode.

I do hope my explanation helps you understand the ramifications of "vase" mode printing....and hence gives you an understanding of what can and cannot be printed using "vase" mode.

As far as changing the dimensions of the part....I very much doubt "vase" mode printing has any effect whatsoever.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

nerys

Re: Vase mode not working for some reason specific case

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:04 pm

Nope no insult taken the models are not mine I did not realize they were not manifold of course what it's doing makes perfect sense with them not being manifold!

That also explains why merging them which makes it manifold fix the problem :-)

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”