ricsod

Non-standard ASCII characters in model filenames will wipe all processes

Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:58 am

If you use e.g. "ä" (LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH DIAERESIS (HTML ä · ä)) in the name of a model, the next time you load Simplify3D it will be unable to load the old processes and wipe them from the registry :evil:

Maybe time for a market survey....

Maikinoki

Re: Non-standard ASCII characters in model filenames will wipe all processes

Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:57 am

I bounce on that remark as I used a "é" in a profile name and then had the issue due to non ASCII characters. Then I spent some time to find the source of this error...

A workaround would be at least a check of non ASCII characters when saving profile so that to warn the user and force to rename. Check should be done everywhere (Profile, scripts gcode, STL names...).

A second workaround could be a fixing tool which should check the factory file and correct it.

A definitive solution would be to manage all UTF characters. In fact people as me (French :) ) just use those characters naturally without noticing it so I think that will happen to me again.

Regards.

horst.w

Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:46 pm

Yes, thats right, but the next problem is the printer. Printing from SD, all files names containing "Umlaute" are not listed in the display.

horst.w
GER

XoTT@6bI4

Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:47 am

for developers it will take 15 minutes of their precious time to change the method from 'QString.toLatin()' to 'QString.toUtf8()'.

It works for Russians.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”