dwallersv

Completely baffled re: raft layer heights

Printing a cat figurine in Colorfabb Brass Fill. I've wasted 12m of this expensive, awesome, no-longer-made filament on two failed prints, because the first layer is adhering TOO well, getting torn off in the process of removal from the PEI build plate. So, I thought I'd try a raft.

Problem: 0.4mm nozzle, layer height 0.16, first layer 200% (0.32mm, 80% of nozzle dia.). Everything works as expected with a skirt. Turn that off, turn on the raft -- top:2, base:1, offset:3, sep:0.2, infill:50, speed:100 -- and I get bizarre layer height gcode for the raft and first layer of the model. I can't figure out what's causing this...

First raft layer, on the buildplate: 1.0mm!! What? A 0.4mm nozzle can not extrude a 1mm high layer!! WTF?

Okay, so I set the first layer height to 100%, with layer height still 0.16mm. Simplify3D strangely -- but consistently! -- now generates a first layer (remember, first layer of the raft) 0.5mm -- again, a real tough job for a 0.4mm nozzle!

As with the first layer, the subsequent two raft top layers are strange, too-large heights less than the first layer but unprintable, values of which I can't figure out how they are derived.

The only way I was able to get this to print -- and print fine -- was to set the first layer height to 64% (again, remember the set layer height is 0.16mm), which, of course, gives me a 0.32mm first raft layer (actually 200%, but we shouldn't be so pedantic), a long with other incalculable, but fine layer heights).

So, can anyone shed light on this? If I use a raft, how do I configure Simpify3D so I can control the height of every layer? Do I need to manually edit the gcode?
dkightley

Re: Completely baffled re: raft layer heights

Coincidentally….the answer is contained in this recent thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13480
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
dwallersv

Re: Completely baffled re: raft layer heights

dkightley wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:41 pm Coincidentally….the answer is contained in this recent thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13480
Very clear now... thanks!

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”