grue19

Top layer feature type

this is a peaked roof being printed. the green is a "top layer"? is there a way to make that green narrower in width? i'm not even sure what it's called as a feature for sure. no big deal.

ps i'm working on a huge project for work, i'm amazed at how quickly and easily i'm able to print stuff out... the process settings quick and easy, the layout. so i'm printing a building as 4 walls and a roof which will be glued together - with the feature that separates parts i'm able to detach the faces of my roof as a sub-object in my 3d program and separate them out in simplify3d easy peasy! it makes my modeling easier and i don't have to lay everything out in my modeling program.
Attachments
20190827_233554.jpg
S3D-Alex

Re: Top layer feature type

You are correct that those sections are Top Layers. It helps to think about models like this as a sort of staircase after being sliced. The slices form a staircase effect with sloped surfaces like this. So each 'stair' will have a Top Layer condition set by the user that will need to be met. This means that directly below these 'stairs' there will be n number of solid fill layers. I know this can be sort of confusing without a diagram so I included a quick, simplistic one below illustrating this point. Let me know if you have any other questions about this!
Attachments
Solid_Layers.png
Solid_Layers.png (8.87 KiB) Viewed 1936 times
grue19

is there a way to tune the width of the solid layers?
dkightley

Alex's diagram is a touch confusing. Perhaps it ought to be like this:
layers1.jpg
is there a way to tune the width of the solid layers?
If you mean like this:
Layers2.jpg
or this:
layers3.jpg
then the answer is No.

Perhaps ther should be the capability of doing so....I can see it would alter the strength, etc.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
grue19

you know, i wondered about that for a second too... if this is such a "thin" roof, even though there is plenty of infill, it would probably be weaker. or, it might de-laminate?

what i'm printing now is working out fantastically. my settings are dialed in and i'm printing like a madman. many small buildings, some with flat roofs and some with slightly pitched roofs.

i'll have to check to be sure, but i think the width of the top-surface is dependant on the pitch of the roof. for example, the one pictured here is a very low pitch or rise/run. the overall width of that roof / building is 4". i printed some smaller houses with a steeper pitch and i believe that top surface was smaller. now this little house with 3/4" wide. so maybe it is a fixed percentage that scales proportionally - my guess at this point. and then if that's true, i'd hate to have to manually set that for every object!

in another model i slicked and printed since the original post, i noticed that the top surface, the green, was a lot more visible so that's a good thing as we don't want to see down into the building ha.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”