FlexGTR

Really bad seam lines!

Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:24 am

Hi all,

I'm new to Simplify3D, so hello to everyone!

I've been printing for many years now and I've fixed most issues in the past, but this is the first time I've come across this particular one. I've just completed a nine hour print and the surface finish is very poor, due to what I suspect are the layer seams.

The first pic is the S3D print. Printed at 0.1mm, with the start points set to 'Optimize start points for fastest printing speeds', i.e. default. As you can see, the seams are awful! For comparison, the second pic is one that I printed using Cura before I bought S3D...
S3D 1.jpg
Cura.jpg
I have just set another copy going with a specific start point chosen (x=100, Y=150) in case that helps, but surely S3D should be giving me better results than this? Any ideas on what could be wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Karl

TheBum

Re: Really bad seam lines!

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:54 am

You usually trade quality when you go for speed. How does it come out if you randomize the start points for the layers?

Paul

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:36 pm

Although S3D sports the ability to slice a model with different process, you my want to try one single process, or make sure both processes start on the exact same (closest to) point. Changing them is catastrophic and unwise.

Although S3D allows for a set start position for making a seam, the program likes to calculate its own starting position usually to calculate its fastest infill starting position. Find that spot and set your seam ( Look at the infill start position when it first lays down its infill on a new layer) to correspond to that X Y for the seam and it will all look good and come out like it should.

If you need to change this infill start position, (to move your seam) simply change the infill angle to a different angle or even add an angle (trial and error) to move the starting point. You can also rotate the model to get the starting infill to start where you want it (time consuming) but worth it if you want a perfect print.

The problem occurs when S3D restarts its calculations for the Second FFF process.

It introduces all kinds of wrong calculations after a split.

S3D has yet to fix this.

Paul

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:41 pm

I should also mention that using two different process with different infill % over an arc or curved surface will generally look really bad. S3D calculates this incorrectly when it switches from one fff program to the next. It changes it’ infill start position and then starts miscalculating it’s movement. Looks bad like yours.

You will find that the first fff is good but the following processes are all screwed up.

airscapes

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:23 pm

I would suggest you reprint it with cura and see if it is as nice as it was before. Almost looks like a mechanical issue rather than software.. Then again, I did not upgrade S3D and can not say for sure as there are apparently still many issues with the current version.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”