Teejay187

Blobbing on the first layers.

Hi,

I am quite new to the software and I am experiencing some problems on my Solidoodle 2. I am getting a lot of blobs on the first few layers. It`s uneven and I can`t see anything in the settings that can correct it.

I will provide photos tomorrow as well as my settings.

Also, is there a way to save the current settings and go back to the default settings to do some testing?

Regards,
Teejay
lkeppner

Re: Blobbing on the first layers.

If you are experiencing "blobs" on your first layer (or two) and then it "catches up" to itself and smoothes out in 3 or 4 levels the problem you may be facing is over extrusion or too much "squish" on the first layer. Think of it this way, if you "squish" the first layer onto the build plate or over extrude to create a wider extrusion on the first layer for better adhesion, that material has to go somewhere. And if you have too much then it shows up because it gets displaced as the nozzle continues to push more plastic against it on each subsequent pass. Finally, after a few levels, it catches up to itself and you have "covered" it up because you are now extruding the proper amount for the layer height.

You need to either increase your first layer height on your machine or reduce the "over extrusion" for the first layer in the software by reducing the first layer width or height (or a combination of the two). Once you find the optimum combination you will eliminate the problem and get a great solid surface.
Teejay187

Re: Blobbing on the first layers.

Thanks for the answer!

I`ve had issues with blobs a few times earlier, but the prints I have done lately have had uneven layers and blobs all over. It gradually went worse after my post here. Settings had not changed that much either.

I tore apart my printer to get to the bottom of this. I replaced the extruder and a few other things. It seemed like the hotend was semi-clogged after what I can see. The solidoodle extruder had small plastic parts breaking off and they fell into the hotend. I cleaned everything and printed a new extruder before it broke. I feel bad for blaming the software since it was the only thing to change, but I did`nt take wear and tear into account.

It now prints smooth as butter.

Picture for great justice!

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”