grue19

custom supports with multiple processes

hello. i have recently started to experiment with multiple processes. my factory file won't attach because it is 15mb in size (how could i reduce that? or get you what you need?)

my steps were this:

1. i loaded up my model
2. used the tools > custom support structures to add supports and then remove supports i did not want
3. used slice tool to figure out where to adjust my infill settings, i wrote those heights down in notepad example: 0-20mm, 20-40mm, 40-45mm etc... and came up with 7 processes in total
4. my initial process did not have supports enabled, and so none of the other processes had supports enabled - however when i choose prepare to print, i got a message about enabling the supports

when it finally processed, the support settings under "support" > "automatic placement" did not match what i had created using the tool (except i think "from bulding platform ony".

when it processed, it processed with supports going up the left side of the boot to the strap. the only supports i wanted were under the sole and in the custom support tool, everything that was not under the sole was deleted.

am i approaching this wrong? how do custom supports work with multiple processes?

thanks
grue19

Re: custom supports with multiple processes

since i can't get the factory file uploaded due to size, here are two screen shots that might help.
custom supports before.jpg
custom supports processed.jpg
dkightley

I think I have an easy solution......change the Support Pillar Resolution in all your processes to 99. This will stop any parts that have no manual supports from having automatic supports generated for them.

I have this set at 99 as normal......and only drop it down to a realistic value when I need either auto or manual supports. Its a more reliable way of switching supports off!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
grue19

hey that fixed it! thank you! shaved 30mins off estimated print time too.

side note,the straps you see are separate sub objects in my model. i was all flustered because they were printing poorly and with gaps inside the boot they dive into.. i saw another post about separate all meshes and that did the trick! using separate all meshes seems to boolean them with the main body 9f the boot and it prints great... i think the tip was called intersecting meshes.
dkightley

That was a fix I spotted a long time ago....and have suggested something like 70 times both on the forum and the S3D Facebook page......and raised a feature request asking S3D to do something about the issue!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
gearsawe

This may be helpful or not
I would manually generate the supports. And Put the "model" in one process and "Support" in another.
The "model process" has supports disabled.
The "support process" has supports enabled which were generated and manually altered. Infill set to 0% and zero for Top Solid, Bottom Solid layers and Shell. (only supports are generated for this no model).

Now I set the top and bottom layer separation to zero for the "Support process" then adjust the Model Process first layer percent greater than then Support. effectively making an air gap which can be fine tuned. (layer thickness 0.25mm, first layer is %150 for support and %180 for model which makes the air gap 0.08mm)

When processing the project it will say I am process the same area twice which I am not. answer Yes and continue. Second warning is the "Model process" has manual supports generated you like the enable supports. say NO. because the Support Process covers this.
grue19

if there were a check box i n the support section that said "custom supports", then behind the scenes it could change the setting to 99 and that would be the end of it. maybe. but yeah it behaves like two separate support systems the way it is.

anyway two great solutions here so far. so thanks both.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”